The Sewing Place

Changing my way of working

SewRuthieSews

Re: Changing my way of working
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »
I don't have a tidy sewing room so probably not that helpful to hear from me. I periodically tidy up and then it gradually goes again.
How about one of those multi hook things on the door with bags hanging off it.
Or move less used stuff to loft, and use that space.

rubywishes

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 11:29:27 AM »

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   ????

@Iminei   What sort of craziness do you call that! :S  You can keep that weirdness on your side of the pond my dear friend!!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:32:56 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

rubywishes

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 11:30:41 AM »
I'm going down to my local pizza shop tomorrow and buy me a truckload of lovely little square boxes.  And next time I drive past a Dominoes pizzaa shop I'm going to hang out of my car window and give them the biggest greasy ever! :devil:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:35:50 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Flobear

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »
Oh, @Silver Rose , it never occurred to me to store fabrics in underbed storage boxes  :| 
I gave up my 'den' to Mr Bear 8 years ago when he moved in and it meant I lost my entire storage wardrobe. I have been shuttling up and down to the loft ever since though more and more 'stuff' is hanging around in plastic boxes in various rooms.

Off to check the height of the space.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

StitchinTime

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 11:45:27 AM »
@Lowena As you can't put hooks into the walls, could you get one of the sets of hooks that go over the top of doors so you could store projects in bags?

If you made drawstring bags with "strings" of different lengths, the bags would be at different heights against the door which would reduce the bulkiness.

(Oops, just seen that @SewRuthieSews has had the same idea.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:49:22 AM by StitchinTime »

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 11:48:37 AM »
There's no way we could use our loft for anything @SewRuthieSews as access is extremely difficult and we are extremely old  :D
Can you actually get anything in a pizza box @rubywishes ???  :S Pizzas are very thin -<
Good idea @StitchinTime  can you shut the door when using those hooks? I can actually make drawstring bags  :angel: but don't things need to be kept flat??
Oh dear, I'm in more of a tizzy than ever now  :|
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:50:40 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »
The door will close with those over-the-door hooks as long as your doors don't fit too closely. I used them a lot in my old house, but here the doors fit the frame too well.

What about an ottoman on the landing? Or elsewhere of course - my daughter uses an old pine seachest as a coffee table. I believe it's full of something.

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the door @Greybird  I really can't encroach in any other parts of the house.
I'd still love to know how you all cope <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 18:20:59 PM »
I cope by encroaching on other parts of the (very small) house.  I have fabric in an ottoman that sits next to the sofa in the living room.  It gets used as a sofa side table.  I have small boxes of fabric in the bottom of a wardrobe in the bedroom and boxes on top of the wardrobes too.  I don't actually have a lot of fabric but if I had to confine it to the room I use for sewing I wouldn't get in the door - our rooms are very small.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bjay

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 18:44:24 PM »
I have one of those pop up boxes fron The Works. That looks nice on my book case and it holds my current project and small odds and ends.
There is a chest of drawers in spare room - top 2 drawers for guests- well that is the aim but they are overflowing with future  projects and my stash, also under the bed, in  a wardrobe etc.
It looks tidy but only because my current work is in the box _ I have 2 plastic boxes with 'sticks' for thread and one for spools A much used and very useful pressie last Cmas
Sewing machine is permanently out in the garden/sitting room. No where to store that!
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 19:04:22 PM »
I only like to work on one thing at a time, maybe cos I don't have that much room either, but then when I start something, it's usually finished within a day or two, can't be doing with things taking days to finish.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 19:34:37 PM »
I really can't encroach in any other parts of the house.
@Lowena Says who? Don't you own half of it??? ><

Sara-S

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 22:00:15 PM »
@Lowena I also have limited space. My home is a little 3-bedroom condominium. One bedroom is for us to sleep, one is my husband’s study and one is mine.  Since this 10” x 10” room holds my desk, computer, all my other craft stuff and my sewing stuff, I am realistic about what I can do.

I do stick to one project at a time, as a result of limited space.  Also, when I want to work on a larger object, I do it at my sewing class, where I have big tables to use.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:47:58 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

RJR_38

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 06:45:52 AM »
@Lowena how much do you actually need/want all the bed linen etc you have stored? If you can make yourself de clutter 2 small boxes worth you will have the space to store 2 boxes of projects on the go. I only have 50% of a box room to work in and one single built in wardrobe for storage - but I manage to have a couple of clear boxes for longer term projects on the go.

Flobear

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 22:11:35 PM »
I have my boxes!

Next job is to sort out my fabrics  :)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!