The Sewing Place

Am I just a Technique Junkie?

b15erk

Am I just a Technique Junkie?
« on: October 11, 2019, 09:31:04 AM »
Yesterday, while finishing off a little cardigan for the new baby, I began thinking of the next project, which is the Lil Rosebud pattern which is worked in the round, and top down.

I have tried this before, but never quite succeeded, and the main stumbling block is the small amount of stitches to start off with.   @Ploshkin reminded me that Magic Loop is the way to go, but I have tried this in the past, and failed to grasp the principle, so have resorted to other methods. However, I got to thinking, so many people use this method, and have no trouble with it as far as I can see, so it may be worth giving it another go - especially as my new needles haven't arrived.

While looking for tutorials though, I came across a technique I have seen before, but not used, which would be perfect in the event of running short of yarn - which is likely on this project.

The technique is for Helix Stripes, and I love it.  It occurred to me that I could practise the Magic Loop and the Helix Stripe on the same piece of work, and I set to last night (yes, I know there is a cardigan waiting to be sewn up and finished off!  ;)).

It took me many rows before I joined the Magic Loop successfully - trying various lengths of circular needles, but eventually I managed it, using the longer of my very cheapy needles.  WhoopWhoop!! I now know why I need longer circular needles to make this possible.

I practised a few rows before joining in my second colour (you can use several), but, baby steps.  It worked ladies, and I am pleased to say, that I can do MagicLoop, and I have successfully done a Helix stripe!!

Just for information, yes I know that you can add stripes, but this way, there is no join, or mark, where the one ends, and the other begins.  It is definitely a spiral.

This is nothing new.  I often go off at a tangent, and learn random techniques which I'll never use again, and I was wondering if I'm alone not only in the collecting of them, but becoming to focussed on being able to do something which I quite possibly, will never use again!

Jessie
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:32:48 AM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewingsue

Re: Am I just a Technique Junkie?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
I am probably the exact opposite.
If I can do/learn something fairly quickly that's fine.
If not it gets chucked away amid mutters (or howls if I am alone) of  'I can't do it.'  'I'll never be able to do it'  'I'm too stupid/clumsy'.
 :|
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »
I'm with you, Jessie. I love any new technique and can spend hours prowling YouTube for ways to do things that I've never seen before. :) It doesn't have to be craft related - it can be for the garden or almost anything. I love learning ... and hope to continue doing it.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »
I'm totally with @Sewingsue If I can't do it perfectly,immediately I have a meltdown and throw it all away cursing my stupidity
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 13:11:01 PM »
I love to learn a new technique, sometimes I’ve been known to make something just to try out a new way of doing things.

My problem is remembering how to do things, unless I’m doing them regularly.

At least with things like YouTube it’s easy to get a refresher.

@b15erk I still find Magic Loop the best method, you can use a long cable on small projects. These days whatever I’m knitting I only use cables. I find long metal needles so cumbersome now.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 14:02:15 PM »
Well I’ve never seen this magic loop before.   I can knit but tend not to as it seems to take so long! 
But yes I love learning a new sewing technique.  Trouble is, by the time I come to use it again or think it might be a good technique to use for a certain project.....I’ve forgotten how to do it.  Must be an age thing!   

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 17:01:51 PM »
I'm totally with @Sewingsue If I can't do it perfectly,immediately I have a meltdown and throw it all away cursing my stupidity
YAY! I have a sister.
Wave @Lowena

I always assumed I was the only one

and it just proved how ungrownup I was because everyone else did persevere
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 17:08:50 PM »
 :D <3 waves back ..... I bet we're not alone...they're just scared to own up  :P

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 17:50:56 PM »
@b15erk I'm glad you've mastered magic loop, simple once you've got it.  I couldn't get my head round I'd for ages until I found a particular tutorial.  I too am a bit of a technique junkie, I see something and think I'd like to have a go even though I might never actually ever use it.  I nab people in living museums and get them to show me how to do stuff.  That's how I got to do Manx quilting.
Life's too short for ironing.

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 20:26:14 PM »
I was brought up with the motto "if you don't succeed, try, try, try again". I've never lost that ethic and hate to let anything beat me. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 22:31:25 PM »
I'm afraid my motto is along the lines of " if at first you don't succeed, give up....don't flog a dead horse"  :D
I can try forever and get nowhere, so now, if I can't do it straightaway I throw it away!!

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 05:29:49 AM »
Get a Grip @b15erk  you're talking in tongues ... (rushes off to get a bucket of cold water)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 10:10:41 AM »
Well done @b15erk  If you like the technique then magic loop is for you.  You will soon have that pretty little baby dress made.

Personally I dislike having to keep fiddling with loops of cable and I much prefer dpns for knitting in the round, and short straights for knitting flat.

I've just finished a baby cardi which had you use a circ for knitting flat because it went up to about 130 sts, but if I do it again I'll use my straights.  Yesterday I started a different baby cardi with 145 sts.  Instructions are to work the ribbing flat and then cast on a few stitches for a steek and then work in the round (it has a stranded Fair Isle type pattern).  No thank you, I'm working it all flat on 10" needles.  I can purl with two colours just as easily as knitting with two.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 11:10:28 AM »
We're all different Brenda - I so much dislike having to sew up seams on knitting that I will knit flat patterns as circular so that I don't have to do it!
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
I don't like sewing up either. 

A cardi by definition has an opening all hte way down the front, and I would rather knit that into it than work in the round and then cut it open with for a steek.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.