The Sewing Place

Burda 6956 (Maternity)

b15erk

Burda 6956 (Maternity)
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:28:10 AM »
Eventually finished this over the weekend, but I don't think DD will like it.  I think it's a bit 'mumsy', but maybe it's a gardening dress....

Issues with this pattern:  it needed more ease, although I liked that it was darted at the back; the front V is awful!

Regarding the V.  The neck edge should have Vilene stabiliser ironed on, and the tiny facing sewn at the V.  The facing is then trimmed down, and the rest of the 5/8" turned to finish the V.  Well it looks awful.  I re-did it once, and it looks just a tad better, but I think it would have been 100% improved with a facing.

I've attached a picture.  :(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

Re: Burda 6956 (Maternity)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
Also removed the second thread for this post, just in case you're wondering where it's gone.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »
Sorry Fran, Internet issues this morning, so may have posted twice.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 20:01:03 PM »
Facings are always a nice finish. And so easy.  But I have been binding a v neck recently and found this method.  It works pretty well.
https://wendyward.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/how-to-apply-bias-binding-as-a-facing-to-a-v-neck-an-excerpt-from-my-refashioners-2016-jeanius-project/

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
I usually do something similar to that OSS, but the binding on this dress used the 5/8" seam allowance as the binding-it was a complete failure btw.  I re- did it twice, and both times it looked awful where the facing bit attached to the V.

The dress was also a failure, and I could tell from DD's face that she didn't like it.   :(  Serves me right, I should know better - I know she doesn't do 'mumsy'.

On the positive side, I'll be re-cycling it into something for me!!  :)

Jessie