The Sewing Place

Crochet - should I?

sewingj

Crochet - should I?
« on: October 11, 2019, 20:01:22 PM »
I need something to do while I watch tele in the evenings that doesn't require much concentration. I'm wondering about a granny square blanket but I don't know how to crochet!
Is this a good idea? Is it easy? Does anyone know of a good tutorial?

Any other thoughts gratefully received.

MistyRose

Re: Crochet - should I?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 20:14:47 PM »
I crochet off and on in the winter and I've just started to make some snowflakes  from a video, unfortunately it's a US video and they call most stitches by a different name to UK, although this one do show you how to do the stitches.   Don't know of a good tutorial off hand but I don't think it's hard to learn, Ive been doing it for so long I've forgotten how.   

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 20:22:56 PM »
I've been crocheting for more than 60 years - it's really easy once you get the hang of it. The hardest part is finding a way of holding the yarn and hook which is comfortable for you. Don't stress about doing it the "right" way - just do what feels best. As long as you can achieve an acceptable end result, that's fine.

I don't have a link to any beginners' tutorials but I've been told that Bella Coco on YouTube is very good. She teaches in UK terms too, which is helpful if you're just starting.

Good luck, and keep at it.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 20:27:57 PM »
I learned from a book - Crocheting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 22:28:20 PM »
My d.i.l.tried to teach me but I couldn't get the hang of it
Triumph of hope over experience :D

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 22:31:33 PM »
Oh yes, give it a try!  I learned from a book, too many years ago to mention.  It's not difficult in terms of the stitches, but I would definitely second what @Kenora said.  Experiment until you find a way of holding the yarn that suits you. For example, I always wind the yarn twice round my little finger to maintain the tension and hold the work between middle finger and thumb, with index finger stretching yarn to regulate tension as well.  I don't think that's anything like standard practice, but it works for me.

Watch out for the difference between UK and US nomenclature. It's not difficult, you just have to know which system is being used.

Good luck and enjoy learning a new skill!   

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 23:20:40 PM »
@sewingj - type in "Bella Coco granny square for beginners" on Google. That should bring up her YouTube video. It's about 24 minutes long. Hope this helps. :)

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 23:31:29 PM »

MistyRose

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 23:48:02 PM »
      This is the address https://bellacococrochet.com/

Lady Violet

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 23:49:03 PM »
I agree try  Bella Coco on YouTube she is brilliant.  I have really enjoyed watching her tutorials, and managed to crochet two lovely granny squares.  They are quite large, we use them as throws. 
A bad start always has a good ending ☘

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 09:18:28 AM »
Like the others, I would recommend Bella Coco. Although there are lots of other good tutorials on YouTube, a lot of them are American, and they do things slightly differently, but enough to confuse a beginner.

Good luck, it's a great way to pass the Winter months.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 14:51:25 PM »
Right - wool and crochet hooks ordered and first video watched!  No doubt I will be back here shortly asking for more advice

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 15:21:59 PM »
Great- you're up and running! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. It may be difficult to answer them "long distance" but we'll give it a go. :)

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 20:02:26 PM »
I’ve just been looking at the Bella Coco videos, they are very good.

In the ones I watched she was using a hook with a grip handle, does anyone use these? I’ve never tried them but wonder if they are more comfortable to use than an ordinary hook.

Sometimes I get cramp in my hands when I crochet for long periods, especially when I’ve not done it for some time and wonder if grips would help.

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 20:30:55 PM »
@Ellabella - I'm always attracted by the design of the hooks with the grips .... but .... I just can't use them. My step-daughter bought me a set to try, and I find them really difficult to hold. I normally hold my crochet hook like a pencil, not like a knife, so the grip gets in the way of smooth crocheting!

It's a shame because there are some lovely hooks out there. :loveit: