The Sewing Place

I've got battle fatigue

Gernella

I've got battle fatigue
« on: November 21, 2019, 16:23:08 PM »
I've been sewing on the dining room table since May when I got the new kitty and that was his safe room (rather than the usual, just a place where a puss occasionally went to use the litter tray).  I've got three machines on the table (one could  go but it hasn't got proper covering and liable to the possibility of tinkering).  Two sewing bags on the floor when I'm sewing, the usual accoutrements of pin box, plus another Prym click box (which is wonderful), and other bits of rubbish that come in this time of year because of Christmas on the other end of the table.

It was a novelty at first but after this length of time (I went back about six weeks ago but puss wanted to be around so gave in), it's become a bit of nuisance. I've now got to the stage where I really need a nice open space to lay things down, a sewing machine with a bit more  muscle, my proper ironing board and my little lady to use for draping and so forth.  The last few weeks I've just been tinkering with easy bits.  I'm on the last few bits but I can't seem to concentrate, do I have a back vent or not and even more so, could I do a proper tailored back vent. 

It has made me really appreciate my sewing space and I don't envy anyone who doesn't have the space for a dedicated sewing area.  I take my hat off to you, I'm just a spoiled moaner. :fish:

So I think I'm going to leave the few bits left until the New Year and study a few videos on  the tailored vent.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lilian

Re: I've got battle fatigue
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 16:37:51 PM »
I completely understand you @Gernella I only have my dining table for cutting out and a machine in its own table which I also put my newer machines on to sew.  I have a medium-sized cupboard that is my craft cupboard.  If I need to cut out larger things (trousers etc) I use an opened up large box (washing machine box) laid out on my double bed!  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 23:05:42 PM »
I also have to sew in the dining room. We have fairly frequent visitors so it all has to be cleared away before they arrive. I have a Victorian commode in the corner ( that has lost it's innards) which is full of stuff like overlocker cones, elastic, curtain header tape and all the other rubbish one accumulates. To get at this I have to remove two framed photos and a table lamp. The ironing board is set up conveniently in the kitchen a few feet away. My threads, scissors, tape measures etc are in two small drawers in a side table in the living room.

I do think though that I am more organised and disciplined than I would be in a dedicated sewing room. I think that there I would spread out and rarely clear up properly and probably never be able to find anything.

riverchica

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 04:56:29 AM »
I only have a bar-height dining table as my sewing space. The ironing board is a small-size that hangs off a door frame and folds out. And it's upstairs from the dining table. At least I get exercise lifting the sewing machine on & off the table and running upstairs to press each seam  ;)

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 07:39:57 AM »
I have plans! (Always with the plans that Wrenkins  :S)

My sitting room isn't used in Summer so I could set up semi permanently in there and when Winter comes we decamp from sunroom to sitting room so I could have one big move and set up in there.  :loveit:

That's the plan......but there are many.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Celia

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:00:48 AM »
I hate to say but my cat took a long time to let me sew around her safely and can still be a problem when I am cutting out. She has always been good when I am knitting and even sits on my lap as I knit.
Last week was the first time I had a friend around to bead and she was very good.  She is two and a half now though.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 14:30:07 PM »
Just as I thought, I am a spoiled moaner.  Most things we like to do we don't need much space, and some non sewers would say well you just sit at a machine, which is laughable really when you think how many times you are up and down, not to mention the amount of times outer clothes are dropped for a try on.

Just goes to show how we can adapt to suit what space we do have along with a few innovations.

Plans are always good @wrenkins.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 14:32:39 PM »
@Gernella I only need a small space as I only do P and  Q
Triumph of hope over experience :D

mudcat

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 18:11:11 PM »
I do think though that I am more organised and disciplined than I would be in a dedicated sewing room. I think that there I would spread out and rarely clear up properly and probably never be able to find anything.

I can confirm this is a problem.  I have a dedicated room and it always looks a disaster.  My house is otherwise quite neat and tidy but the sewing room not so much.  It's also too crowded and tends to get some of the overflow from the rest of the house.  I really need to get it better organized because I don't find it a pleasant space at the moment.

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 20:45:21 PM »
........ At least I get exercise lifting the sewing machine on & off the table ........  ;)

I can barely move my machine, let alone lift it. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath