It's lovely, @Kenora  ! I wish you many happy hours in there xx

Surest1tch

Re: Kenora's new sewing room
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 17:30:16 PM »
Fantastic

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 18:03:02 PM »
What a lovely space - and a view to the greenhouse, too!

I got quite excited for you when I saw that cupboard, but sadly see that it isn't yours.  Maybe you could sloooowly move things out of it...  (Not sure how you slowly move a filing cabinet though!)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 18:46:51 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 18:29:31 PM »
@Elnnina - I've been considering your comments and have decided to try using my older machine for dressmaking, as opposed to quilting or bag making. It will be more precise, having the manual presser foot lever as opposed to the electronic button, so may be more suited for dressmaking. Once I've done that I can make a better informed decision. I don't think keeping it in the cabinet will be an option, however, because the top flap would have to be positioned over where the other desk is, and the front cupboard door would stick out into the room, making it a bit of a hazard. :S I already have another machine (Janome) which I will definitely sell, but I'll give the 570 a lot more thought as I do still love it. Thanks for your words. :)

@Acorn - I actually do have designs on that cupboard but it's taken me so long to convince DH that a sewing room is a good idea that I thought a softly softly approach might be diplomatic!  >< My plan is to try moving a few items out of there, bit by bit, and replace them with stash. I doubt he'll notice but it needs to be done slowly as you suggest. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 18:44:39 PM »
Oh I love it, and so tidy, but, if you have any give aways I'll have the chair and the Bernina. :)

I have to say my computer stuff, which at one time took all the space up with all the peripherals, is now stuck in a corner and if it weren't for the fact that I do need a printer now and again, would go.

I do love pictures to drool over and wish.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 19:44:48 PM »
Kenora, thank you for your lovely comments.  I inherited my mother's machine back in 2002, and in 2003 my daughter got married and I made  her wedding dress, bridesmaids dresses and my own outfit.  The tension on straight stitch on my Elna was playing up a little so I used the Bernina 830 for the bulk of the sewing on all the wedding items, however I have an exquisite stitch on the Elna, again not on the Bernina, and that is a decorative scallop satin stitch so I used this firstly on the petticoat and the bottom tier of the net, then my daughter decided she wanted more oomph under the dress but no hooping, so I made another whole skirt of net and then packed the entire back with tiers upon tiers of more netting and each tier was also edged with this lovely scallop stitch which was sewn over some perle cord, then days before the wedding I was asked to make a veil and for this to have large scallops all edged with this smaller scallop stitching.  We got there in the end thank goodness.   However I then decided that it was time that my Elna was looked at and as nobody knew whether the Bernina had ever been serviced that this should also have a service so both machines went off and were away at the same time - my service place was not local.  So I was without my machines for a while, but luckily it did not matter too much as I needed a break from the intensity of all the months of sewing.

Shame if you could not use the sewing cabinet's platform, but seeing again how your room is set up can understand.  I must admit my wedding sewing was done in my lounge with the cabinet only being moved out the night before the wedding.  Now though both my kids have left home I have one of the bedrooms as my sewing room and yes this is lovely to have, only I still have far too much stuff and could do with more room.

Anyway don't let my rambles spoil your enjoyment of your lovely sewing room, and fingers crossed that you can eventually have all of that cupboard for your sewing stuff and stash.  I have no doubt that when you use your older machine on the cabinet top  that you will be thinking of your Dad.

Kenora

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 20:48:27 PM »
Oh I love it, and so tidy, but, if you have any give aways I'll have the chair and the Bernina. :)

@Gernella - it's only tidy because it's new. Wait a few weeks and it'll look very different, I'm sure. :\  The chair was a lucky find. It's new, from Staples, and only cost about £35. The downside is that it's covered in faux leather which might be a problem if we have any hot weather. However, it's supremely comfortable (for me) and has a gas lift (or some sort of lift anyway). Only problem is I now can't put my feet on the ground!! That will need addressing somehow. The Bernina in front I'm keeping, but the one behind I can't make up my mind about. (See the chat with @Elnnina .)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ann

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 16:39:32 PM »
@Kenora - your sewing room is lovely. You've done a great job of setting it up using what your dad made.

I have used peg boards (now have Ikea ones that I love) for embroidery hoops and  for rulers. I could hang up my scissors and rotary cutters plus hung my tape measure on the ruler one. They are perfect for what I want to use them for. I know of other people who used Command hooks and they loved that idea.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres