The Sewing Place

New Simplicity patterns

UttaRetch

New Simplicity patterns
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:19:59 AM »
I've not sewn any Simplicity and I see nothing here to make me change my mind.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: New Simplicity patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 09:51:38 AM »
Nope, nothing for me either  :(

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »
How very uninspiring.
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:18:25 AM »
Me too. Why do they feel the need to have 2 patterns for family dressing gowns?

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 11:40:29 AM »
I like the ladies garments, simple and understated, but nothing I haven't seen before and none that I'll be purchasing  ><
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 21:35:01 PM »
Nothing for me either, but a lot of it looks 1960s in design.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 01:22:04 AM »
Nothing for me here either.  I don't use Simplicity though. Last time I tried it was a disaster.  Ridiculously over sized and illogical instructions.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 08:06:49 AM »
Does anyone remember Billy Connelly joking about going into the sea in a knitted bathing suit? That's what those first two dresses look like to me.
Neither shape nor make.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 09:26:09 AM »
I not only remember Billy Connolly saying it - I remember wearing one! I was very young though and wouldn' t go into the sea because I didn't like the seaweed touching my ankles .

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
The late Jeremy Hardy had a funny observation about emerging from the water in a knitted swimsuit his granny had made which was full of krill.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 10:07:23 AM »
It all looks like stuff that's gone before and is shapeless.  TBH I think it all looks like it's out of Primark. 
Re. the knitted swimsuit - I had a pale blue crocheted bikini :o

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »
@Francesca I hadn't noticed the dress but I had clicked on the New Look tab in the email I had from them and there is a similar dress that caught my eye NL 6574 https://www.simplicity.com/globalassets/catalogs/simplicity/n6574/new-look-frock-dress-wrap-pattern-6574-envelope-front.jpg?width=500&height=500&upscale=false&bgcolor=ffffff

Looks a bit like what the duchess of Cambridge would wear.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
I have to say that none of the pattern books have much inspiring and haven’t for years, apart from some designer stuff in Vogue.  I think they play it safe.  I love seeing something different, even if I don’t wear it.  There are always elements you can introduce to your own garments.  I know pattern cutters were a bit thin on the ground some years ago and I wonder if it’s still the same.  Designing is different.  Love a bit of innovative pattern cutting. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 14:49:57 PM »
Fabric makes a big difference.  A so, so pattern can become something entirely different with a bold choice of colour or design.

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 14:54:41 PM »
Dare I speak? All I can say is, a few years ago I was buying several patterns at a time and several times a year. Last year I bought none and this year I have bought two. They have to have some sort of appeal before I will spend money on buying them and time making them up, to say nothing of fabric. Each pattern release comes and goes and stirs only disappointment in me. From the comments of others I am not alone.

I'm happy for those who like their offerings but it surely can't be good for their business if year in year out so many of us are not buying the product.