The Sewing Place

New Simplicity patterns

Ohsewsimple

Re: New Simplicity patterns
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 15:03:42 PM »
Usually when these threads come up the comments say things that are too "out there" are ugly. It seems like they can't win. If they put something different out it's too far but if they play it safe it's considered boring.

Yep you can’t please everyone.  But I do remember when patterns were more challenging and had interesting features.  Nowadays they seem to be quick and easy.  I know women go to work and that shift to women working rather than staying home is when the patterns began to change.   

@Greybird when I was working in the shop we noticed that with each new issue the new patterns became fewer and fewer while the discards became more and more.  The catalogues have become smaller.  Gone are the big books we had back in the 70's and beyond.  I still have a couple of those tucked away. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 16:03:39 PM »
The coat is quite nice but I'm making a Vogue Alexander McQueen knock off at the mo and have just ordered the Vintage Vogue coat pattern from thelatest Vogue release on the US site so I'm well coated as it were. These Simplicity patterns will take a while to swim across the pond to UK shops.

I din't buy many Simplicity  - much prefer Vogue and the occasional Butterick etc, however I did find a few Simplicity patterns I liked in the last release so I ordered them in the 40% sale which is still on until the weekend (as is the Vogue 50% off).

Yes I think they are streamlining and rationalising to save money @Ohsewsimple.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 16:06:18 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Kenora

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 18:18:35 PM »
I really like that coat @Francesca - I hadn't noticed it before. I'd love to make it but doubt I'd get the opportunity to wear it as the weather just doesn't get that cold here. Shame because it could look good.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 19:47:17 PM »
I don't follow fashion and the styles I like are pretty much out of print - I can't find a short, fitted jacket in the current patterns for love or money.  I don't do boxy or shapeless to avoid looking like a brick built outhouse.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 19:52:55 PM »
Haha - Fran beat me to it by a whisker.  I was going to suggest Style Arc.  They major on loose, but there are some jackets that are both short and fitted.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 19:55:04 PM »
I agree Stylearc has some nice patterns  many of them have a more fitted look. You can buy them as paper patterns if you don't want to print out pdfs.

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 21:29:58 PM »
I need a 50's fit jacket, but without the retro styling.

Tamnymore

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 21:38:18 PM »
I don't know where you get them in the UK but Marfy patterns would be worth a look.

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »
This

turned into 'Satan's own pattern', but I loved the shape of the jacket.

Silver Rose

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »
I like the jacket, a lovely shape.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 10:07:15 AM »
I like that jacket too.  I also struggle at the moment to find patterns for fitted garments.  I spent weeks searching for a fitted shirt pattern to make up in denim (a sort of shirt / jacket crossover).  Eventually I found one albeit with sleeves I don't go much on - it's a Tilly and the Buttons pattern and I would never have looked there because I've never liked any of their garments.  I haven't got round to using it yet, the moment had long passed by the time I found it.

I tend to think that there is insufficient variety in these collections so they only appeal to a certain number of people and at the moment that doesn't include me.  If I stick around for long enough the sort of things I like and can wear will turn up I'm sure.
It's good that there are a lot of 'easy' patterns as that can only encourage people with less experience or time to sew.  Personally, when I do have time to make something I like it to be something that is at least a bit challenging and gives me a sense of achievement.  I like precision and good finish, I get bored knocking up tops on the overlocker.
Life's too short for ironing.

Catllar

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2019, 16:22:29 PM »
Boring!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

sewingj

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 16:42:18 PM »
Do you think that part of the problem is that we older ladies have already seen pretty much every style imaginable at least once?  There must be a limit to what can be designed that isn`t old hat or so "off the wall" that it would be unacceptable to many people

Ros

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 17:46:55 PM »
@UttaRetch. Does the "how to do fashion" stockholm fit the bill?  The blue version on the website. There is a freebie top pattern to test basic fit for this pattern line too before you plunge in if the jacket might work.

UttaRetch

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 18:58:47 PM »
Thanks, but I prefer a collar and lapels.  Nice lines, though.