The Sewing Place

Embroidered crushed velour top

Bodgeitandscarper

Embroidered crushed velour top
« on: October 15, 2019, 10:14:29 AM »
I saw a top I liked, but it's on one of those Chinese websites that will take weeks to arrive and then may or may not look like the pic. 
The pattern hunt led me to Burda 6972, which is vaguely similar.

The cutting out was a bit 'orrible as it left lots of bits on my cutting board that had to be vacuumed up.

I then realised that I wanted princess seams on the upper bodice, so I ended up cutting a new upper front and back from a TnT pattern, and just cut two seams in the front, and a centre front seam.

The sleeves are also different, but I used the pattern and cut it off short, then I cut a wide piece that will be gathered and sewn on, I'm just not sure how wide to make it...

The embroidery took me ages to decide on a design, and then the colours, but I'm really pleased with it.  It looked really wishy washy in the machine booklet, but changing the colours makes an amazing difference.

In the original garment, the waist seam is gathered, but I spent a bit of time pinning pleats as per the pattern, then pinning gathers, and then just gave up and gathered the whole front and it looks fine.

Today is deciding on the sleeve width, I've not made wide sleeves in hundreds of years!  I also may re-cut new top halves for the sleeves, as I think they may be too close fitting, and not be the look I'm after.

The embroidery colours are much brighter than in the pic, it was taken in artificial light.

Kenora

Re: Embroidered crushed velour top
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »
Stunning embroidery - I look forward to seeing the finished top. :D
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 12:50:20 PM »
That's going to be wonderful - and is giving me ideas...

It does look as though something's had a fight on your cutting board!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 14:23:47 PM »
Very nice @Bodgeitandscarper.  Love the design......and you got them symmetrical!   It’s the sort of thing where I’d end up having sewn them both going the same way!   :[
Have you cleaned your machines out yet?  That stuff makes such a mess and gets in everywhere.

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 20:07:08 PM »
Love it

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 20:57:03 PM »
Beautiful  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 21:39:05 PM »
Very nice @Bodgeitandscarper.  Love the design......and you got them symmetrical!   It’s the sort of thing where I’d end up having sewn them both going the same way!   :[
Have you cleaned your machines out yet?  That stuff makes such a mess and gets in everywhere.
So you didn't spot that the designs are not quite level with each other?  0_0 0_0

Good point about cleaning my machines - I've used four of them (sewing machine, embroidery, overlocker, and coverstitch) so that'll be fun then  :S

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 11:59:18 AM »

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 17:26:25 PM »
That's going to be lovely and the beautifulness of it will more than compensate for the shit job of cleaning out fluff from your machines for the next four years! Ask me how I know  :o
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Fabric Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
Lovely top, looking forward to seeing it finished.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

jen

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 22:11:50 PM »
Super embroidery!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 10:33:41 AM »
Finished!
I really like it.  :)
More pics in the "Inspired by..." competition thread.

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »
That is one classy top - well done, you have every right to be pleased with this despite all the hassle of dealing with the bits of velvet.  Please where did you get your design from and what was it called?  Thanks in advance.  Now go and give your machines some loving care and attention, they will thank you for it.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 13:37:07 PM »
I have cleaned my sewing machine, and, surprisingly, there were hardly any bits in it.  Must do the embroudery machine next, before I use it again -  two more lots of fabric arrived this morning...  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 19:18:54 PM »
Lovely job - very glam!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !