The Sewing Place

Template plastic

twopence

Template plastic
« on: October 25, 2019, 13:45:01 PM »
Does anyone know how to make template plastic lay flat when it’s been on a roll?

I have managed to cut the templates out but they are not laying flat so it will be difficult to cut the fabric out.  I have tried leaving in the airing cupboard next to a hot pipe and in between two heavy Denny dishes both filled with boiling/hot tap water and leaving for a while followed by wrapping flat in an old tea towel with eight large tins on top.  Currently they are under a steel pan rest which they are lifting but not enough to roll into their original state.

Any ideas?

toileandtrouble

Re: Template plastic
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 14:25:08 PM »
Would a hairdryer do anything do you think?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 16:20:31 PM »
If you've just bought it, take it back to the shop!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

RJR_38

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 20:42:02 PM »
I would try ironing while sandwiched between baking/parchment paper and then under something heavy until completely cool.

twopence

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 21:25:52 PM »
@Iminei unfortunately I have had the roll quite a time.

@RJR_38 a warm iron is something I had thought of or perhaps a hairdryer as suggested by @toileandtrouble

At the moment they are in a plastic folder under a heavy weight.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 22:43:13 PM »
with rugs which have been rolled up and are still curly the advice is to roll them the other way to counteract the curl.
No idea if it would work.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 22:47:41 PM »
Does anyone know how to make template plastic lay flat when it’s been on a roll?

I have managed to cut the templates out but they are not laying flat so it will be difficult to cut the fabric out.  I have tried leaving in the airing cupboard next to a hot pipe and in between two heavy Denny dishes both filled with boiling/hot tap water and leaving for a while followed by wrapping flat in an old tea towel with eight large tins on top.  Currently they are under a steel pan rest which they are lifting but not enough to roll into their original state.

Any ideas?

I would try sinking them into warm water for a while then lay flat with a weight on top :)
Willing but not always able :)