The Sewing Place

Ironing in style

Gernella

Ironing in style
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM »
Early this year I treated myself to a new Brabantia ironing board, which is so bloody fabulous I ought to get a job extolling it's virtues.  The old one went upstairs for sewing, but has so far been left unused as because new kitty has taken over for a bit, I am using the dining room table for sewing and the little portable board.

In an effort to pretend I bought a new Brabantia board cover, felt and suspenders for the old one.  A couple of things bothered me.  For a start when I undid the screws to the plate to slide the cover under, there was an almighty crack and the piece that held the iron came a bit loose.  I sort of pushed it down but it still rattled a bit.  The other thing was when I stood it against the wall the legs shot out, no lock. I had to turn it face up, which meant it became a good scratching post.

Anyway I've kept looking at it, posh top crappy board and started looking for another one, not as big, would hold a steam generator and my kind of price.  I was tempted by others but my heart was on another Brabantia.  I sort of have a figure I can live with when buying and last night I saw it, the smaller B board, I wanted smaller but no steam generator stand and this one had.  So I pressed the old finger and bought for just short of £62. 

I have no idea how I am going to get that in the door because when they come the box is massive.  :S  If I get it in without him seeing, he'll never take much notice in future.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

Re: Ironing in style
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »
I bought one of those huge Brabantia ones back in 2003 when I was about to make my daughter's wedding dress, I deliberately wanted this particular one because the chunky tubular legs are at the back of the board so I would be able to sit down to do the ironing if necessary.  Well now it is necessary for me to sit down, and I am so glad I bought this  - not cheap mind you, but has been so worth it.  I agree it is huge, but it makes such a difference when ironing sheets and the like, freshly washed but as yet uncut fabric.  Don't feel guilty Gernella if buying another board is going to help you in your day to day life, then why not have this,  Let us hope that your OH is not around when the new board arrives - then ignorance will be bliss!!!

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 11:48:17 AM »
There really should be a delivery option ‘Deliver when husband is not around’.

Mine never notices things once they’re in situ ;)

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »
Best thing I ever bought too @Gernella !  Yes, it is big, but so are sheets, and lengths of fabric.  Also, when I'm sewing, I use my ironing board as a workstation, and it is the most used piece of kit in the sewing room.

I never buy ironing board covers though as I like to change them often.  I cut an oversized shape, put wide binding right round, and thread with elastic.  Haven't bought a cover for ages.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
Hi - @Elninna
Can you remind me of the model which has the chunky legs and you can sit down at?
thanks.
annie x

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »
Brabantia Model D Titan ironing board on offer at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=brabantia+titan+oval+ironing+board&crid=3CUUEFFTPSRP&sprefix=Titan+brabantia+%2Caps%2C154&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_16

Think I should order this ...?

annie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »
Love my brabantia.  I use that in my sewing room.  Had it for years.  It has a pull out iron rest.  My tank sits on the floor. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 14:36:27 PM »
I need a new board and fancy a wooden one.  You would think that at £95, this would come with a cover.  >< 

I quite like this

but I'll need to find another stockist aside from Amazon.

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 15:05:53 PM »
Annieeg I think the nearest of the Brabantia boards on the Amazon page would be the Titan Oval - it only has these two curved legs, and is especially made so that you can sit down.  Sadly though mine does not have the 'well' for putting the steam generator tank in - for some reason back in 2003 this 'well' only came on a cheaper board.  Anyway I get around this by standing the steam generator tank on an offcut of some 'floating floor'  that is placed right beside me and thus protects the carpet.  I have also found that I can buy some  ironing board felt in John Lewis (where I bought my board in the first place, and also get replacement covers) - by the way with the replacement covers you get more 'suspenders' with them.  So I have a generous layer of felt which goes over the foam that covers the mesh, and then the cover.

I have in the past unpicked the binding that goes around one of the  old bought covers, and then used this binding when I have made  some smaller covers on my sleeve boards - this particular binding - the way it is made, makes for less bulk when pulling the cover up especially on such a small board.  As for my sleeve board, my son made me a super one, really heavy and solid and sturdy, and I have a choice of two sizes of board.  Again I covered these with some of the ironing board felt and then some sheeting.

Hope this helps, only other thing I can suggest is that if I charge my camera up and take a photo of the underside of the ironing board - but that will have to be later today as I know the camera needs charging up.  But I do think the Titan Oval one is a very good match.

You won't regret having such a big board, makes ironing so much easier, and of course this lives in my sewing room but is folded up against  the wall area.  For sitting, I using a discarded office chair that has no arms on, but it does have wheels and this is just right and easy to move around.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 18:14:47 PM »
I think all the new ones have  around 5 or six positions so you can choose to sit down if you want.  I like mine on the highest setting so my back is straight most of the time.

I had a little laugh yesterday @Ellabella, postman comes up the drive with a parcel and other stuff, parcel at the front.  I'm meticulous at keeping a record of what I've bought (I can see what I've got left to spend then), glanced at my spreadsheet, (anal as well), and saw nothing.  Himself jumps up to open the front door and in the distance I hear him say "you could tie her hands behind her back and she would still  find a way to spend".  Comes back looking sheepish, the parcel was for someone else.  0_0.

I've seen that one @UttaRetch in my search and to be honest I thought it was a bit overpriced.  Its a Betty Twyford.  You  choose your cover when purchased

Ebay have one £60 second hand.  Collection only though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Betty-Twyford-Ironing-Board-White-wood-with-new-cover-also-Open-to-offers-/143363031809?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 20:01:12 PM »

I've seen that one @UttaRetch in my search and to be honest I thought it was a bit overpriced.  Its a Betty Twyford.  You  choose your cover when purchased
I've seen the Betty Twyford where and the cover is an extra cost.  Still, it's cheap in comparison to the one in the photo, which costs £100 more:o

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 22:09:09 PM »
What!  At that price, I expect Betty Twyford to come round and do the ironing.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 07:25:38 AM »
@Gernella's house

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 09:37:10 AM »
Well at least when I buy something it gets used unlike himself who bought a new Henry vacuum last year for the garage, made a special journey to collect it because it was much reduced and it now sits in the garage, still in the box. Daft beggar.

He can start spluttering the day I ask him to pay for my pleasures. :devil:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 10:28:31 AM »
Nice mat!  I don't have that problem really (some people are really easy to distract).  More the other way. One day I found a Royal Mail parcel card blowing down the street and thought, "Aha". For our anniversary, I filled it in with his name and address and put, for 'it has been left', 'in the wash basket'. Then I left it on the mat.  He was looking at it for a long time. Eventually I asked him "have you tried  looking in the wash basket?"
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m