The Sewing Place

Curtains for a CamperVan

Tiggersew

Curtains for a CamperVan
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »
So I had a "friend" message me via facebook to ask if I still made curtains, to which I replied that yes I still had the skills and equipment to make curtains, what was it that they were looking for?
The reply came back that they wanted curtains for Brother In Laws camper van conversion, and would I give them a price for making them up.  They would supply all the materials tape linings etc etc.  I said I'd need to know the sizes for each curtain so I could check they would be ordering enough and then I could give my price for the work.
7 Curtains in total, various sizes mainly width difference but drops all pretty much the same.  I checked allowances for hems tops etc, and told them how much I would have ordered to make them, and then said that I would charge £20 per width as a fee, (Not unreasonable as locally that's pretty much half the price of stores).

Curtains as I said were to be 28" drop (not long) various widths, "friend" wanted 3" heading tape which I said would be a tad much for such short curtains and maybe 2" tape would look better and give a better finished effect, (But already bought 3" tape) I also explained that as a basic rule of thumb that each curtain should be a minimum for 1 1/2 times the width of the window to get the gather rather then crinkled look and it worked out that in total I would be working with 8 widths of fabric, so £160 for fully lined handmade curtains, (plus whatever they were spending on the materials).

I got a reply back from said "friend" saying that was more than they wanted to spend, and that they had a lady in the village who had done work for her before and was much cheaper than me.

I have now been blocked as a "friend"

I could be really bothered by this, but I'm not going to be as to be honest for the work involved it really wasn't a life or death situation.  Just the cheek of it really....

Ho Hum, I know the value of my time, and less than minimum wage even if doing someone a favour isn't going to make me lose sleep

Acorn

Re: Curtains for a CamperVan
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
There was a reason they didn't go straight to the 'lady in the village'!!

I think you're better off without that commission given the degree of control they want - 3 inch header tape on camper van curtains is absurd, and wouldn't look right - and no doubt would be your fault.  Our caravan curtains, which I made, have a special sort of header tape that is only about an inch deep.

And your friend list has definitely been improved by the absence of someone who behaves like that!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:57:19 AM »
The same for everybody everywhere unfortunately, most enquiries are deemed too expensive, they can get the same cheaper somewhere else. I despair   ><
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 10:58:54 AM »
The sort of friend you can do without.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:13:34 AM »
People ask me why I'm not on Faceache!  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 11:43:50 AM »
I think you should be relieved that they went to the lady in the village, and 3" tape is far too wide and would look daft.

I remember doing a re-furb of my brother's caravan, seat covers, curtains, blinds the lot.  It took forever!  I didn't charge them as it was family, (and if I'm truthful, I didn't reckon on how much work was involved).  Then, they sold it!!  Even truthfully telling me that without the re-furb, they would never have been able to sell it!

Never again!

The unfriending sounds very petty...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 12:34:16 PM »
good riddance I’d say. 
I once had a lady ring me asking if I could make her a skirt.  This was some years ago.  My mum knew her and gave her my number. She wanted a quote over the phone which I wouldn’t give.  I always met people and discussed things first.   But I said a basic skirt, designed and drafted to fit would be a minimum of £80.  She said she could get a skirt in M&S for £25.  So I told her to go and buy one then, along with several other million people!   I knew she lived in a big house on an expensive road!   I wouldn’t waste my time on that. 

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 15:54:47 PM »
Good for you

Samantha

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 17:02:16 PM »
I made curtains for our camper van (similar set up to what you have stated), can't remember how long it took me but I know I spent a day just cutting out the fabric and lining and probably 2-3 days (possibly more!) sewing them up. So if you could do it in 2 days £160 is really not that much for your labour. As others have said best off out of that one!

blackcat001

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 16:11:03 PM »
Oof... What is it with 'friends' who think that entitles them to your work for a pittance?

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 07:56:31 AM »
People have NO IDEA ... I suspect that the 3" tape was bought cheap, (charity shop, closing down sale, fleabay) so that was why 3" tape was specified ... The full length curtains I relined and the ones I made have only got 2" tape.

You're well rid, dont worry yourself about someone like that!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 10:49:56 AM »

I have now been blocked as a "friend"

I'd take that as a win.  My mouth dropped open when I read this and what was expected.  I don't think I would ever make a professional sewer.  I'm sure you will sleep a lot better without that on your books.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 07:49:59 AM »
Him indoors's ex SIL is a couturier. (Proper job). Someone wanted her to make a dress for £400!?!?!?!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 01:42:12 AM »
Good Lord.  >< Consider her blocking you as an early Christmas gift. There's a reason I've never sewn for hire. Dealing with people like this, or worse, would have landed me in jail a long time ago.

You were wonderful to her by even considering the job.  :flower:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.