The Sewing Place

Sleeve Rescue Advice

Ploshkin

Sleeve Rescue Advice
« on: October 17, 2019, 10:58:58 AM »
This is the sleeve of a cardigan I knitted several years ago.  I invariably have a problem with knitted sleeves being too long which is why I tend towards 3/4 sleeves.  I really like the cardigan but have worn it very little because the sleeves are too long, they weren't too bad to start but have definitely got longer.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I would like to shorten the sleeves, I can afford to take one complete pattern repeat off the end.  The edging is crocheted, can't for the life of me remember how I did it as I don't crochet but I'll be able to work it out again.  I'm not sure how to go about taking off the sleeve bottom, I'm not sure what you get if you unravel from the cast on edge, some sort of loops presumably.  My thinking at the moment is to run a 'safety line' through the stitches where I want the new sleeve end to be then cut off below it.  Will I then be able to 'cast off the new edge'?  I may be able to crochet directly into the loops that are left but I feel that it would be better with a more stable edge to pick up for the border.
Thoughts please.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

Re: Sleeve Rescue Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 11:04:54 AM »
@Ploshkin , A few years ago, I had a problem with a sweater being much too tight across the bottom, and decided that as it was unwearable as it was, I would unpick it.

It worked beautifully.  In my case it was K1P1 rib, and I just unpicked a couple of rows.  The rest did not unravel, and is still perfect, and very stretchy.

I think if you unravel to a length which suits you, you could then knit down in rib.  It's a shame not to wear hand knitted sweaters just because they need a little alteration.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »
That's good to know it unravels ok Jessie.  I thought maybe it wouldn't as it's from the bottom and could envisage a tangled mess with stuck threads.  I want to redo the crocheted border because that's how all the body edges are finished - it's an edge to edge design with no bottom ribbing or front band or neck ribbing.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
When I undid sleeve rib to re-knit it as it had stretched badly, I found it didn'tt unravel easily in the way that unpicking from the top end would. It was easy enough but it was necessary to pull out the yarn from some of the loops. Perfectly do-able and I would say go for it. I have a feeling that, like me, you are patient and determined with untangling - unless you inherited the 'throw it across the room' style from another side of the family!

I also found that when picking up to knit the new cuffs, the stitches seemed to line up in between the previous columns of stitches rather than directly behind but it didn't seem to matter once the job was finished.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »
Hmmmm!  It looks as though the sleeve was knitted cuff upwards.
In ribbing etc a column of stitches are 'V's pointing towards the cast on.

Knits and purls will unravel backwards (away from the cast on) but anything else increases, decreases etc won't.  So it's not just a case of unravelling to the length you want.

My suggestion is to use a small diameter circular needle and pass it through each stitch of a complete row/round, being especially careful when you come to the cables, and then cut off the excess, pick off all the bits and then cast off again.  If you go down through one stitch and up through the next one you will get alternate stitches mounted differently so be careful about knitting into the back of the stitch if necessary.

Another option would be to securely machine stitch - close zig-zag - and then cut off and turn a hem.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 13:11:24 PM »
It sounds doable, thanks for the benefit of your collective experiences.  I had wondered how the cables would fare Brenda.  I don't need to preserve the wool as I had plenty left over so I think I will first pick up the stitches I want on either a small gauge needle (my interchangeable with a cable) or with a large wool needle and a contrasting yarn - I'll see which is easier, then cut off the excess and pull out the bits of yarn remaining.  That should preserve the cable pattern.
@FloBear  Yes, I do have the 'patient untangler' genes like you.  Have you ever tried lace knitting? That tests them big time.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 13:48:16 PM »
It might also be possible to chop off the required amount and knit a new cuff to graft onto the bottom.
At least you have loads of options if you have spare wool.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Flobear

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 14:10:06 PM »
@FloBear  Yes, I do have the 'patient untangler' genes like you.  Have you ever tried lace knitting? That tests them big time.

No, I haven't and, I'm not likely to after that comment!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!