The Sewing Place

Janome coverstitch skipped stitches

Ellabella

Janome coverstitch skipped stitches
« on: October 17, 2019, 14:14:52 PM »
When I had my Coverpro skipped stitches when passing over seams drove me insane.

I have been reading on an FB coverstitches group about people raising the back feed dogs and getting a much improved stitch.

I can’t have a go myself as my Janome is no more but it might be worth trying for anyone on here with the same problem.

Details are on the FB Janome Elna  Coverstitch Support Group.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Janome coverstitch skipped stitches
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 16:23:54 PM »
My solution to the frequent skipped stitches on my Janome was to buy a Babylock BLCS2 - a very expensive solution, but I mainly sew jersey and stretch fabrics, so worth it for me.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 16:36:34 PM »
How do you raise feed dogs? 
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 16:48:02 PM »
@Ploshkin Ive no idea if this works but have seen it mentioned on two different coverstitch groups.    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  .

It might be worth a try if you are having problems as it’s a lot cheaper than Bodgies solution.

If you mark the original position so you can go back if it doesn’t help it’s not a huge adjustment.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 16:50:34 PM »
I read about raising the feed dogs there as well. I'm a bit wary of tampering with them though.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 17:12:12 PM »
I did that this morning  :). It's a very simple job, honestly, and only takes a couple of minutes. Just be sure to use a small Phillips screwdriver. I wondered if it had added to my problems but all good now.

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 17:19:27 PM »
Oh @Vezelay thank you for that. I was a little hesitant to post about something I couldn’t check personally but so many people seem to have found it useful.

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 21:12:46 PM »
A bit late coming to this, but I too have raised the back feed dogs on my Coverpro 1000 CPX after seeing this on Facebook and it has been a revelation. I was about to throw it out of the window as I’ve never successfully used it. It’s a keeper now.

As so many people have the same problem with Janome, and have altered the feed dogs and had success, it makes you wonder if some aren’t adjusted properly at the factory?

Procrastination get behind me

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 07:39:53 AM »
I have a Janome CoverPro 1000 CP.
Mine is OK on most knit fabrics as long as its only 2 layers, so I've not tried raising the feed dogs yet.
It is on my list to try.

To get mine to work I have the tension on 1 and the middle needle removed. I couldn't get the middle needle to sew consistently, the thread repeatedly broke. Once I got a reasonable result I left it alone but it could be a bit better!

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 08:24:10 AM »
I haven’t had my Janome 1000-whatever out for a while but will keep this in mind. I don’t use FB so wouldn’t have known about this otherwise. I have in the past had skipped stitching merely hemming cotton jersey whether I sew over seams or not. It is frustrating but I can’t justify a better machine.

Holly Berry

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »
Until reading the FB page I hadn’t thought about the feed dogs. On closer inspection the back ones were lower and not level. All I did was set them level with the front and hey presto perfect stitches. I’ve use on fleece and denim ( not flat fell seams) and flimsy John Caldor jersey. I haven’t even had to adjust the tension.

My suspicion is that at the factory they are just put in and probably only adjusted on some for quality control. This could explain why they work well for some and others just can’t get them to work despite adjusting tensions differential feed etc.
Procrastination get behind me

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »
I'm going to have good look at mine to see if they are level or not then have a go!

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »
I wonder if the same applies to my Pfaff.  Although in fairness it's usually only on stretch denim that it plays up.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

So Chic

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 16:08:11 PM »
I’m also going to have a look at mine and, if necessary, ask Mr SC to adjust the feed dogs.  Then if it’s not right I can blame him.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 17:00:02 PM »
Had a look at mine and I think they probably could do with raising slightly. I didn't feel like tackling it as I only wanted to hem a camisole.

After a few issues, I don't think it liked the overlock silver grey thread I was using, a problem that I've encountered in the past, I think I will have a go tomorrow in decent daylight.

One thing I think is a reason (it shouldn't be but.....) for getting skipped stitches is if you stop stitching in the middle of a line and then start again. I did this and know where it was (not over a seam). When I came to check the stitches there was a part where the looper thread had snapped, it was exactly where I had stopped. I've thought for a while this could be a reason so I try if possible to keep sewing even if very slowly. Just a thought.