The Sewing Place

Janome coverstitch skipped stitches

SewRuthieSews

Re: Janome coverstitch skipped stitches
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 20:52:31 PM »
I have been putting off changing the needles in mine, but am convinced the left one does need changing.

Kenora

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 21:56:25 PM »
@Kenora

I'm so glad you have your coverpro now and have made some lovely tops on it already. I've never had any issues with my coverpro, although I know I haven't used it very much. I think it is just a matter of getting used to the machine and the different settings. Bear with it,  because once you've got to know it a bit better you'll find its a good machine to have.

:)

Thanks @Lizzy777 - I got a really good deal from my local sewing shop who had it delivered to me. I also got the extension table and clear foot, the latter of which I've found absolutely invaluable, so that one's thanks to you.

I do like the Coverpro - it's only the skipped stitches over thick seams that are causing frustration. As you say, I need to practice a lot more, but I wanted to get my tops made so I could wear them in the hot weather. Now it's gone cooler I'm hoping to put the machine through its paces.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lizzy777

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 13:31:38 PM »
@Kenora

That's good to hear you are happy with your new machine and all the accessories. Perfect wether for staying in and having  more time on the coverpro.  ;)

Kenora

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2020, 18:35:12 PM »
@Kenora I read a solution for going over thick bits and it works a treat (my Elna is the same as the Coverpro)

Stop before the thick bit,
Switch the looper setting to the 'thick' setting*
Increase the left needle tension by 1 - 1.5
Sew over the hump then return settings.

@Ploshkin - I tried changing the settings as you suggested when I made my latest top. It worked on 3 out of the 4 raglan seams I sewed over for the neckband, so that's a definite improvement. I also hand-tacked the hem in place before I started, rather than leaving pins in, so that I didn't have to stop so much.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm slowly getting there. :)

maliw

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2020, 19:20:35 PM »
I 'upped' the feeddogs after getting really fed up and guess what it sewed the neck and hems of my t-shirt without any problems. However I will wait and see as I've been lulled into a false sense of security with this machine before.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Kenora

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
I've found a new solution to my skipped stitches problem. I saw somewhere to use Polyarn. So I bought 3 colours from Barnyarns and put it in the looper only. It works like a dream!  It feels soft against the skin too so that's a plus.

Helen M

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2021, 14:52:33 PM »
I took the plunge and finally managed to get the feed dogs raised on my Janome. I think it has done the trick as it seamed a lovely hem on my top.  :)

I was expecting it to be tricky as fabric (viscose jersey) caused me grief on my overlocker (unusual) and I was starting to run short of a matching thread.

I therefore decided to leave the previous threads on the machine to try scraps and alter tensions, then hopefully I'd not need to do too many tests with the correct thread. It worked so I'll remember that, as at times I've used a lot of thread just trying to get tensions right etc.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Gittje

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2021, 13:19:35 PM »
We will try out the tips found proposed in this topic. If they don't give the expected results we might purchase a gently used Juki MCS-1500 that our dealer is selling.

End of August our dealer is expecting the new Janome 3000P-CPX. But not sure if the improvements of this "professional"Coverpro will make a real step-up to the 2000CPx.

Add: in the meantime we found a new owner for our Janome 2000CPX we lost confidence in and bought the gently used "as new" Juki MCS-1500. The Juki seams less picky and take seam intersections with ease.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:46:06 AM by Gittje »