The Sewing Place

Janome coverstitch skipped stitches

Kenora

Re: Janome coverstitch skipped stitches
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 14:11:16 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to thank @Ellabella for posting the tip in the first place. It has just saved my sanity! :) I've been trying to coverstitch the neckband on a t-shirt, and have ripped it out (very slowly!) three times because of slipped stitches where the band crosses the raglan seams. I've only had my Janome CoverPro 2000cpx a few weeks so I'm a complete novice at it (although I do have a Janome overlocker, so the threading etc is no problem). I was ready to throw it through the window, when I remembered having seen a post on TSP somewhere about raising the feed dogs. Did some research on here last night, and tried making the adjustment before lunch today - success. Yay! 

I've also had to lessen off the presser foot pressure a lot as the foot was compressing the jersey far too much as it sewed. I'm sure that's not right but it's an issue I might leave 'til later, after I've stitched the hems, hopefully this afternoon.

Thank you again for saving my project. <3
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 14:14:09 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

coffeeandcake

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 19:02:52 PM »
@Kenora A quick way to remove cover stitches is to unpick 5 or 6 stitches next to each other on the front and the corresponding stitches on the parallel row. Then from the back of the work you will be able to just pull the looper stitch straight out.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 11:22:17 AM by coffeeandcake »

Helen M

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 19:55:26 PM »
@Kenora A quick way to remove cover stitches is to unpick 5 or 6 stitches next to each other on the front and the corresponding stitches on the parallel row. Then from the back of the work you will be able to just pull the looper stitch strait out.

If it doesn't work first time try a little further along the row of stitching, it then sometimes will unravel straight away. Also make sure you have the folded hem furthest away from you as you start to unpick from the wrong side.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 23:09:42 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Kenora

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 21:02:44 PM »
Thanks @coffeeandcake and @Helen M - I see a lot of unpicking in my future as I'm learning to perfect my technique. :)

I got my hems sewn this afternoon with no mishaps - apart from the fact that the first time I tried it I missed catching in the hem on the back of the work altogether!!!!! More unpicking. I'd lined it all up on the wrong side first, with the hem between the two needles, then put a strip of blue tape on the machine as a guide, so no idea what went wrong. Second time worked OK.

First t-shirt is now finished, so onwards and upwards. I have lots more stretch jersey to sew. :loveit:

Gittje

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 07:51:45 AM »
Interesting topic.

I talked about it with our dealer and he doesn't understand why the feed dogs should be raised as skipped stitches is merely due to a lack of user experience with the Coverpro  -<

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 09:14:09 AM »
How can it be lack of experience!  You put the fabric under the foot and your foot on the pedal.
If my washing machine chews my washing that's not lack of user experience  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
Skipped stitches often come from a blunt or bent needle.  That one is then out of sync with the thread.  Be careful when you remove the work because it only takes a tiny distortion to cause you grief. Take extra care when you put in a new needle that you put it right at the top and make sure they are all the same size. 
Love my Coverpro on jerseys - so long as it behaves!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »
Mine is an Elna 444 which is a Janome CP1000 with a different logo.

I don't often have a problem with skipped stitches but itis fussy about the thread and doesn't like cheap stuff especially when it comes to locking off and pulling the threads through at the end.  It took me ages to work out how to do that because if the thread is not very smooth it won't pull through nicely, or even pull through at all.  It's the looper thread which gives most problem.  If it sticks and won't pull through I open the front flap and release the lever through which the looper thread is threaded and that releases it, but remember to push it back again as unlike my overlocker that it doesn't automatically flip back when you start sewing again and stitches won't form.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 10:55:21 AM »
I'm finding my CoverPro is happy using the polyester thread it came with, but doesn't like cotton thread. Annoying because I prefer the cotton for topstitching the hems on my jersey tops.

Also, despite raising the feed dogs and cutting away as much bulk as possible, I'm still getting skipped stitches when going over shoulder seams (not over side seams).

Ploshkin

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 11:38:47 AM »
@Kenora I read a solution for going over thick bits and it works a treat (my Elna is the same as the Coverpro)

Stop before the thick bit,
Switch the looper setting to the 'thick' setting*
Increase the left needle tension by 1 - 1.5
Sew over the hump then return settings.

It sounds a bit if a faff but only takes a second.  I keep a post it on the machine bed so when I get it out after not using it for a bit it reminds me.

*the Elna has a 2 position lever next to the looper tension dial with a thick and thin picture.  I know the Janome one is differently marked but is in the same place I think.

Helen M

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
I'm finding my CoverPro is happy using the polyester thread it came with, but doesn't like cotton thread. Annoying because I prefer the cotton for topstitching the hems on my jersey tops.

Also, despite raising the feed dogs and cutting away as much bulk as possible, I'm still getting skipped stitches when going over shoulder seams (not over side seams).

@Kenora you can use the hump jumper that you would use on your normal sewing machine to go over anything thicker. I don't use a plastic one but one that I made with several thicknesses of fabric enclosed in a cover. I made it thicker at one end as well.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Kenora

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2020, 21:58:11 PM »
@Ploshkin - Thank you for this - it sounds very interesting. My Janome has the words "soft" and "tight" on a lever next to the looper tension disc. It was set on "tight" when I got it so that's as I've left it. I'm not sure which one relates to your settings but the "tight" setting has the lever set closest to me. I'll definitely try changing the needle tension before going over a thick bit.

@Helen M - Thank you for suggesting the humper jumper. I have tried using it but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I'm getting better because originally I had skipped stitches going over the side seams on the main hem. Now I'm only getting them going over the shoulder seam on the neckband, which makes more sense because I have tape on that seam so it's thicker.

I know I really ought to do lots of try outs with spare fabric but I've been so eager to make some tops for this lovely weather that I've just wanted to get on with the sewing. I've now made 3 wearable tops so I'm happy. I have lots of scraps so I'll just have to knuckle down and practice! :)

I was aware of possible problems before buying the Janome but I couldn't justify spending more on a coverstitch machine that I might not use that much. I'm happy with it generally, it's just the skipped stitches which are frustrating. At least there's no tunnelling so I'm grateful for small mercies. :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2020, 22:29:22 PM »
@Kenora if you go back a page on the overlocker and coverstitch oard you will see a thread i started 'excellent coverstitch information '

The author uses 2 machines, one being the coverpro.
This bit is about skipped stitches and says to use the tight setting for thick stuff and the soft setting for fine fabrics.
It's worth reading through the information.

Kenora

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 23:15:09 PM »
@Ploshkin - Thanks - I'll have a read tomorrow. :)

Lizzy777

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2020, 20:09:14 PM »
@Kenora

I'm so glad you have your coverpro now and have made some lovely tops on it already. I've never had any issues with my coverpro, although I know I haven't used it very much. I think it is just a matter of getting used to the machine and the different settings. Bear with it,  because once you've got to know it a bit better you'll find its a good machine to have.

:)