The Sewing Place

Janome coverstitch skipped stitches

Kenora

Re: Janome coverstitch skipped stitches
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 14:11:16 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to thank @Ellabella for posting the tip in the first place. It has just saved my sanity! :) I've been trying to coverstitch the neckband on a t-shirt, and have ripped it out (very slowly!) three times because of slipped stitches where the band crosses the raglan seams. I've only had my Janome CoverPro 2000cpx a few weeks so I'm a complete novice at it (although I do have a Janome overlocker, so the threading etc is no problem). I was ready to throw it through the window, when I remembered having seen a post on TSP somewhere about raising the feed dogs. Did some research on here last night, and tried making the adjustment before lunch today - success. Yay! 

I've also had to lessen off the presser foot pressure a lot as the foot was compressing the jersey far too much as it sewed. I'm sure that's not right but it's an issue I might leave 'til later, after I've stitched the hems, hopefully this afternoon.

Thank you again for saving my project. <3
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 14:14:09 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

coffeeandcake

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 19:02:52 PM »
@Kenora A quick way to remove cover stitches is to unpick 5 or 6 stitches next to each other on the front and the corresponding stitches on the parallel row. Then from the back of the work you will be able to just pull the looper stitch straight out.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 11:22:17 AM by coffeeandcake »

Helen M

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 19:55:26 PM »
@Kenora A quick way to remove cover stitches is to unpick 5 or 6 stitches next to each other on the front and the corresponding stitches on the parallel row. Then from the back of the work you will be able to just pull the looper stitch strait out.

If it doesn't work first time try a little further along the row of stitching, it then sometimes will unravel straight away. Also make sure you have the folded hem furthest away from you as you start to unpick from the wrong side.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 23:09:42 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 35 metres
So far: 5 metres

Kenora

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 21:02:44 PM »
Thanks @coffeeandcake and @Helen M - I see a lot of unpicking in my future as I'm learning to perfect my technique. :)

I got my hems sewn this afternoon with no mishaps - apart from the fact that the first time I tried it I missed catching in the hem on the back of the work altogether!!!!! More unpicking. I'd lined it all up on the wrong side first, with the hem between the two needles, then put a strip of blue tape on the machine as a guide, so no idea what went wrong. Second time worked OK.

First t-shirt is now finished, so onwards and upwards. I have lots more stretch jersey to sew. :loveit:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath