The Sewing Place

Janome coverstitch skipped stitches

SewRuthieSews

Re: Janome coverstitch skipped stitches
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 20:52:31 PM »
I have been putting off changing the needles in mine, but am convinced the left one does need changing.

Kenora

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 21:56:25 PM »
@Kenora

I'm so glad you have your coverpro now and have made some lovely tops on it already. I've never had any issues with my coverpro, although I know I haven't used it very much. I think it is just a matter of getting used to the machine and the different settings. Bear with it,  because once you've got to know it a bit better you'll find its a good machine to have.

:)

Thanks @Lizzy777 - I got a really good deal from my local sewing shop who had it delivered to me. I also got the extension table and clear foot, the latter of which I've found absolutely invaluable, so that one's thanks to you.

I do like the Coverpro - it's only the skipped stitches over thick seams that are causing frustration. As you say, I need to practice a lot more, but I wanted to get my tops made so I could wear them in the hot weather. Now it's gone cooler I'm hoping to put the machine through its paces.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lizzy777

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 13:31:38 PM »
@Kenora

That's good to hear you are happy with your new machine and all the accessories. Perfect wether for staying in and having  more time on the coverpro.  ;)

Kenora

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2020, 18:35:12 PM »
@Kenora I read a solution for going over thick bits and it works a treat (my Elna is the same as the Coverpro)

Stop before the thick bit,
Switch the looper setting to the 'thick' setting*
Increase the left needle tension by 1 - 1.5
Sew over the hump then return settings.

@Ploshkin - I tried changing the settings as you suggested when I made my latest top. It worked on 3 out of the 4 raglan seams I sewed over for the neckband, so that's a definite improvement. I also hand-tacked the hem in place before I started, rather than leaving pins in, so that I didn't have to stop so much.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm slowly getting there. :)

maliw

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2020, 19:20:35 PM »
I 'upped' the feeddogs after getting really fed up and guess what it sewed the neck and hems of my t-shirt without any problems. However I will wait and see as I've been lulled into a false sense of security with this machine before.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Kenora

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
I've found a new solution to my skipped stitches problem. I saw somewhere to use Polyarn. So I bought 3 colours from Barnyarns and put it in the looper only. It works like a dream!  It feels soft against the skin too so that's a plus.