The Sewing Place

Do you block your knitting?

Ploshkin

Do you block your knitting?
« on: October 20, 2019, 17:45:24 PM »
I don't officially block my knitting but I might pin it on the ironing board and lay a damp tea towel on top and perhaps wave the iron just above it.  It makes the edges a bit scalloped but does even up the stitches.
However, I am just on the second sleeve of a long cable knit cardigan and cables can inevitably do with a bit of tidying up (mine always look a bit wibbly ).  The pieces are too big to fit on the ironing board and so I was considering investing In some proper blocking pins and a mat.  The pins are reasonably priced but the mats are silly but I think I've read that people use children's foam playmats that slot together and are cheap to buy.
Do you block your knitting and if you do how do you do it?
Life's too short for ironing.

Kenora

Re: Do you block your knitting?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 18:09:37 PM »
I don't knit - only crochet - but it amounts to the same thing. I always block my crocheted blankets, whether they have any actual wool content or not.

I used a large board cut specially for the purpose. I covered it in 1" thick foam, and then covered that with a checked poly-cotton (for helping with measurements) and stapled it all on the back. Not particularly pretty but it does the job.

I use - literally - dozens and dozens of pins, pinning every inch round the edge of the blanket. I use long pins and angle them at about 30 degrees into the foam. It takes a while but using so many pins eliminates the frilly edge issue.

If the yarn has a wool content I use a wrung out pressing cloth and lightly steam it, moving the cloth when dry and re-wetting it frequently. If the yarn is acrylic, I just hover the iron about an inch above the work, and let the steam do the work. Allow to dry, and it's done, but I don't remove the pins until the work is cold and dry.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 18:16:52 PM »
I knitted from a US based pattern a couple of years ago. It was big on blocking, which I have never done. I did quite a lot of googling on the subject and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the expense and the effort. I understand that lacy-style shawls and scarves can benefit but I'm sure I read that they need re-blocking after washing. My woolly pullies have to be the shape that they turn out and any slight unevenness of stitches is soon forgotten!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 18:48:19 PM »
I bought a thickish yoga mat from a discount shop and use it for blocking with flower headed pins.  Much cheaper than the proper thing and just as effective.

I always soak and then roll up in a big towel to get most of the water out   I don’t use an iron as I overdid things once and flattened things out too much.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 22:27:03 PM »
This sort of query often comes up on Ravelry.

Blocking is what you would do a piece of knitting when it's washed.  Fancy, lacy knitting needs pinning out, stretching etc, but more ordinary things just need smoothing out.  A wool jumper might get a light press (under a damp cloth), an acrylic jumper just laid flat to dry - and as for socks the best blockers are feet.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 22:37:12 PM »
When I was machine knitting I used to block quite a few things - depended on the constitution of the yarn. Mostly I did it section by section pinned to the ironing board. I know that some people though used a cork bath mat.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 15:00:59 PM »
Yoga mat does it for me and I always adopt the downward facing dog whilst applying the pins before I slide into Sun Salutation !!  I'm just too chilled for my own good at timesssssssss.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 12:28:37 PM »
I've finished knitting the main bits for my cardigan and as its cabled I decided to go for blocking.  I knitted the back and fronts as one piece and it's a bit large so I got a 10mm thick play mat for £12 on Amazon.  It's made up of 18  tiles (foot square) that slot together so it's a good size. 
It's currently taking up my sewing room floor with wet knitting on it.  I can already see it was worth doing as the cables look much better.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 21:27:46 PM »
I use the children mats- they’re great: you can put them together to make just the right size.. I bought it from EBay I think- very cheap. The first thing I blocked was the woolen shawl I knitted for my granddaughter when she was born last year. ( Any time it needs washed I take it back and do it) Since then I’ve blocked a few things.
I’ve just finished pinning out a pullover for my granddaughter- it has a sort of frilly edge and I thought blocking would make it sit better, though I can’t see my daughter doing that every time it’s washed, 0_0
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 21:30:37 PM by Sheilago »

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 10:12:59 AM »
Hmmm.  Pause for thought here.

I finished the Lil Rosebud dress for Lottie (it's miles too big), and I'm really not too happy with the finish, even after 'blocking' - in a fashion.

I used Patons acrylic 4ply yarn, and it was a garter stitch knit with two patterned side panels.

As you can see from the picture, it's not a good knit - even after pulling and stretching out while it was damp. It probably won't be worn much... :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.