The Sewing Place

Help! Pin or spray baste

Ploshkin

Help! Pin or spray baste
« on: April 24, 2017, 14:21:26 PM »
I've got my pieced log cabin top out to layer and baste and now not sure which way to go.

It's 60" x 60".  The only other biggish quilt I have done I used safety pins for basting.  It was ok but I struggled when quilting, with the top layer pushing up in front of the machine foot & ending up with a pucker where I was crossing previous quilting lines and at the end.
So, I thought I would try spray this time.  The batting I have got is polyester and there is a little niggle in the back of my mind that I have heard somewhere that spray baste doesn't work well on polyester.  Does anyone know if that is correct?

I'm also thinking that presumably it is necessary to wash the quilt once completed to wash out the adhesive (& starch as I've also starched the top).

I'm now in a period of indecision.
I don't know whether to get some different batting (if it won't stick), go ahead and spray (though I'm not thrilled by the thought of having to wash it) or pin.  I do have a basting gun which I have used a couple of times on small stuff but could foresee it being a nightmare on something of this size.

I would appreciate some words of wisdom.

Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

Re: Help! Pin or spray baste
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 17:16:10 PM »
I always spray...even big quilts. You don't have to wash them afterwards if you don't want to.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 18:41:22 PM »
I have always SB'ed.....and then pin around the perimeter (particularly at the four corners) in an attempt to keep it square.

If its a biggish quilt (and lets face 60 x 60 is no lap quilt) I then run a line of large stitches vertically, horizontally through the centre lines  (like in a cross) and then through the diagonals to hold things straight whilst I'm quilting, as the quilting goes in ... the stitches are easily pulled out.

Chose a colour totally unlike anything to do with the fabric or stitches ... I usually use an orange red ...which has proved priceless this time round as I am using an orange red backing fabric and have orange red blocks within the top
  :S

but its all good...there are loads of stops and starts in this piece of quilting so I am getting all those stray basting stitches as I go.

Don't know anything regarding SB and polyester wadding...Is there any info on the tin or the t'internet??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 19:07:49 PM »
I always spray and then pin. I never wash the quilt before or after making.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 19:12:28 PM »
I never wash the quilt before or after making.

:o Not even after the cat has been sick on it?????

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 19:13:50 PM »
Norty Imi  :devil: don't be daft  :P you know I meant immediately before and after completion :D :D :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 19:35:59 PM »
I'd pin it. You need to be able to stretch out the backing (gently but firmly) and if possible clip it or weight it down to the table, or tape it to the floor if you're having to crawl about down there. Then layer it up with wadding and top and pin from the centre outwards. Try not to twist the pins as you put them in. When you've pinned it all, turn it over and check for any puckers, but don't panic if it isn't perfectly smooth; you can coax the backing outwards if necessary and repin any real problems. Depending on the type of polyester wadding, you may find the layers will slide - mainly if it's the thinnish wispy stuff. Something like Thermore should cling to the top and backing without any problems.

If you quilt with the free-motion/darning foot, you lessen the chances of 'bow wave' puckers where 2 lines cross. A walking foot will help but you may have to go slowly sometimes and ease these puckers out.

I always wash the finished quilt (ie after binding). We still haven't got that finger-wagging icon... ;)

maliw

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 19:49:27 PM »
I always spray and then pin, it doesn't matter what size the quilt. I used to just pin but anything of any size needs more I find, but that is just what I prefer. Maybe it's overkill, I don't know.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sakar

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 21:41:36 PM »
I spray baste everything. larger quilts I always tack with a contrasting coloured thread vertically and horizontally in rows (app. 20cm between the rows.
I do not pin before quilting and I do not wash after binding and both works fine  :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 21:50:41 PM »
Many thanks everyone for all your advice. I've got a cutting table that is big enough for half the quilt and is a good height to work at.  I've taped the backing down so it is nice and taut.  I'll have a go with the spray and use some additional pins and / or stitching.  Thinking about it, it would be difficult to just use pins with the backing taped down.
I'm hoping to be able to do it tomorrow.

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »
I do the same as Im but my "tacking" thread is soluble thread so it just washes away when I wash the completed quilt. I just have to remember to keep my bobbin of soluble thread packed away from my other bobbins so I don't accidently use it for other sewing...yikes! It is very sensitive to moisture so I have to keep it packed in a sealed plastic bag.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »
Well, my fear of basting has gone.
I've ended up with a bit of everything.  I did half at a time and got everything well and truly anchored before I took off the tape that was holding the backing to the table.  I spray basted then put in pins round the edges as advised by Iminei - as I had plenty of pins I put some extras at strategic points in each block too.  I then thread basted by hand, down, across & diagonally.  I found it quite easy especially as I was at a decent working height.  It took me just under 2 hours and my back is not aching!  I don't know what the quilting police would think but I found a rolling pin useful for getting the batting to go down nicely (and running my hands over fuzzy stuff sets my teeth on edge)
I've only got a couple of issues:  Because exactly half fitted on the table I have ended up with a slight ridge along the centre where it went over the table edge - I realised I shouldn't have had the same line over the edge when I moved it to do the second half.  However I've managed to pretty much smooth it out and a bit of judicious stretching when I am quilting should get rid of the rest.
The other issue is that my backing fabric was a bit tight on quantity.  There's a reasonable amount to spare on 2 sides but only a smidgen on the other two.  If it becomes a problem I will have to do something creative with the binding.
Thanks again for all your advice.

rubywishes

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:19:07 AM »
Oooo, feeling a bit nervous for you Ploshkin......how much is your smidgeon exactly and what type or density of quilting were you planning to do?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »
There's a reasonable amount to spare on 2 sides but only a smidgen on the other two.  If it becomes a problem I will have to do something creative with the binding

Panic not!

You are probably going to be okay and as you have already surmised...No where does it say that when you attach the binding it has to be on 3 layers! I've often had 1/8" or so of wadding showing when I start to bind...all covered up when you sew it on! and if theres a lil more wadding on show in some areas...make an extra wide binding by attaching 1/2" in from the edge! (remember to cut your binding wider too!)

Looking forward to seeing some pics!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:35:14 AM by Iminei »

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 09:58:58 AM »
I've got not much more than 10mm to spare on the 2 sides but I think I will get away with it.  I won't be quilting densely and I've done the main anchoring lines all from the middle out and the backing seems to have stayed put so far.