The Sewing Place

Just bought an old-ish sewing machine for €3

WildAtlanticWay

Just bought an old-ish sewing machine for €3
« on: October 22, 2019, 16:41:39 PM »
I popped into a charity shop next to the supermarket to browse through the books and a chap was on his way through the shop door with what looked liked an old sewing machine in its case.

I asked him what he’d got and he said he was throwing it out as they’d plugged it in and it wasn’t working. No idea what came over me but I said, I might like to buy that. He lifted the lid and it looked clean and tidy.  Manager (who I know well) said I could have it for €5 to include the 2 books I was holding. I asked the manager to drop it off for me on his way home (he passes my house) as I didn’t have the car with me.

I’m home now and wondering what on earth I’ve bought??
I won’t know until he drops it off later but I remember it was beige coloured, has a black motor with a rubber belt attached to the hand wheel. It had a lever sticking out on the front that went up and down?
When it arrives, I’ll take a photograph and post it to this thread and see if any of you lovely experts can advise me if it’s worth trying to get it fixed.  :vintage:  :)

LeilaMay

Re: Just bought an old-ish sewing machine for €3
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:13:01 AM »
Awaiting pics with excitement - what fun for you  :)   :vintage:

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 13:35:03 PM »
I got it home and took the cover off.
It’s not as clean as I thought and why on earth would someone go to the trouble of removing the name badges??

So far, I think it’s a Sew-Trick Ltd and there’s a serial number. A582650

Also, I’ve just realised that maybe Vintage machines means really old ones and I guess this is probably 70’s?  :S

Any thoughts from you more knowledgeable peeps?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 15:08:27 PM »
It looks very similar to my old Jones...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 15:09:19 PM »
Another pic...

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 15:17:55 PM »
Apparently Sew tric made motors that were used on Jones machines.  (according to Dr Google, who knows Everything)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

toileandtrouble

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 17:17:36 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 19:36:02 PM »
@toileandtrouble  ooo, that’s gorgeous. The cabinet it sits in and everything.... :loveit:

StitchinTime

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 08:20:27 AM »
I spotted a similar machine in an Instragram post about a Simplicity booklet from 1965. The penultimate picture shows a range of New Home machines and the first one has the same sort of push button arrangement for dropping the feeddogs as your machine.