The Sewing Place

Help me solve this fitting issue...

DementedFairy

Re: Help me solve this fitting issue...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 11:05:12 AM »
Well done kitten- now repeat to yourself:
"I will not buy any more Tilly patterns, or any other 'up and coming' designers without consulting all the withered old hags who exist merely to advise me"

:devil: :devil: :devil: :D :D :D
C'est moi!

jen

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 17:18:20 PM »
Glad you solved the problem. Adding a neck dart or adjusting the CB seam is indeed a good way to fix a gaping back neck if the cause is a rounded back or forward thrusting neck (same thing really), but my first thought was along the lines of DF's comment. From the online pics I've seen of Tilly makes I've had the impression that the drafting is particularly flat, that is that the difference between back and front block is minimised. Looking at the bit of the dress in your photo I wondered if it was pulling up on the front because of inadequate space in the front pattern. It looks as though the side seam is being thrown forward, and the armhole pulled forward which would fit with that explanation.

Holly Berry

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 17:29:32 PM »
Glad you sorted it. Put it down to experience and take comfort in the fact that you know more than Tilly, in that you knew the neck was wrong. My question would be, didn't she sew it herself before putting the pattern out there  ><
Procrastination get behind me

jen

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 17:31:06 PM »
This is from gingermakescom
 "I didn’t bother making a muslin, instead opting to make a straight size 3, even though my waist and hips fit in a size 2. Why, readers, why? This was a huge mistake. I should have made the smaller size and done an FBA, but because I didn’t, the dress was huge through the back shoulders. I pinched out 1″ darts on each side of the back neckline as a quick fix, but it looks pretty messy."

DementedFairy

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 17:38:10 PM »
Yep that was one of the ones I found when I searched.  There were several more saying the same, or just clear from the photos .  Definitely crappy drafting

Maybe they fit better if you turn your toes in?
C'est moi!

jen

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »
 0_0 meeeow

Samantha

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 12:32:03 PM »
0_0  0_0 0_0 0_0 0_0

DementedFairy

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 17:48:08 PM »
 :devil: :devil: :devil: :*
C'est moi!

Kittensposies

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
Thanks for all the moral support! I am rather cross with Tilly right now.

On the dress front, I said it was "done" but I kept looking at it and the stupid collar in the wardrobe and it bugged me so much.

I've now removed the collar and the neck facing altogether, and used bias binding on the neckline. SO much better.

Annoying thing is I did a FBA and tissue fit the body, and all seemed ok... I didn't tissue fit the collar, assuming it all would be drafted properly.

The fit wasn't great on the body but nothing unadjustable; the dress only got messy with the collar. Will try and post pics now it's more "done" and less rage inducing.

Thanks again for all your input! <3

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »
Sorry you had to learn the hard way.  There isn't a single one of her patterns I would contemplate as I could not trust her to draft even

the Miette skirt properly.

DementedFairy

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 12:36:47 PM »
Just leaving this here and wandering away whistling  :angel:

https://gomiblog.com/forums/crafting-bloggers/tilly-the-buttons/page-105/?p3262255

ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE PAGES of snark.  Says it all
C'est moi!