The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place Contests in 2020 - suggestions please

Sakar

Re: The Sewing Place Contests in 2020 - suggestions please
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 21:16:21 PM »
What about a darkside contest with a topic like... "Make something out of just 3 fatquarters" ;)

Manuela

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 22:46:59 PM »
I would like a competition for people to finish the things they started for this year"s completions but which didn't get completed in time.

@Goth Gardiner,we do have an UFO sew-along thread for this, ot wasn’t popular as a contest.

Manuela

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 22:49:42 PM »
What about a darkside contest with a topic like... "Make something out of just 3 fatquarters" ;)

I remember that @Iminei was looking for Darkside ideas, but yes, we could run it here. Many Darksiders never venture to this section of the forum though  ;)

Iminei

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2019, 08:16:39 AM »
You've pipped me to the post @Sakar as I'm about to launch a similar thread in the Darkside ...

Im planning on running it on the 1st of next month ,... so start gathering your ideas together Gang!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sakar

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
That sounds great @Iminei  0_0

renita

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 03:45:25 AM »
I like the mini SWAKOP idea, that seems more manageable than tackling the whole thing in one go.  I'm pretty hopeless at entering most competitions - still working on my home-furnishing ones from back in January...

Did someone already mention fabric embellishment, like printing or stamping, embroidery, etc on your fabric then make your garment?  That could be good.

I'm a bit scared to make any suggestions, 'cos I feel I'd have to enter if you run a competition that I've suggested and that's a whole lot of pressure to lift my game...  :D

indigotiger

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 14:55:05 PM »
I'm a bit like that, and sometimes a competition would suit something I've just finished making!
That has happened to me, most recently with the current contest "combining prints and patterns"... I have the perfect project in the works, but I started sewing on it last week! If I'd remembered to check the list of contests first, I'd have waited til the 1st of November.
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Ros

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2019, 07:52:34 AM »
Only thing I can think of is a "why haven't I made that yet" as a kicker to use a pattern you have bought but haven't got round to or to buy one that you have lusted after for a while. NB this doesn't have to turn into a "what on earth was I thinking when I bought that" challenge.

UttaRetch

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »
Only thing I can think of is a "why haven't I made that yet"
Good idea, but perhaps it could be called 'Finally got around to making this'. 

Sewingsue

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »
Good idea, but perhaps it could be called 'Finally got around to making this'.

Or in some cases 'these'  :|
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2019, 13:12:02 PM »
Only thing I can think of is a "why haven't I made that yet" as a kicker to use a pattern you have bought but haven't got round to or to buy one that you have lusted after for a while. NB this doesn't have to turn into a "what on earth was I thinking when I bought that" challenge.
I could probably have multiple entries in that competition  0_0

I could also enter a few things in a "what on earth was I thinking" competition too  :S

UttaRetch

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2019, 19:49:49 PM »
@Sewingsue: how about 'Finally got around to making ...' for single OR multiple entries.  Personally, I don't think I could complete more than one in the timeframe as I sew so slooooooooooooooooooowly.

BajaSusana

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2019, 13:08:15 PM »
My ideas
1. Black and white contest
2. Denim but no jeans or jeans jackets
3. Four piece wardrobe with  mix and match pieces
4. Upcycle/recycle
5. Accessories
6. Jackets/ coats

indigotiger

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2019, 23:59:32 PM »
"P and Q" = patchwork and quilting?
 yep
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:46:26 AM by Lowena »
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Ann

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 10:26:08 AM »
I have enjoyed the Stashbusting contest though I entered late. It and having a list of items to make each month has kept me focused on using up the stash. I love that it runs the full year.

I like the idea of using two different fabrics to make something as long as it isn't garment only related.

Having a 3-6 PAC is a great idea. Three is lovely as most people can do it and keep adding to it to get a full SWAP or SWOAP. Themes can be basic pieces, bring it together with a handmade accessory.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres