jintie

Re: The Sewing Place Contests in 2020 - suggestions please
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 15:24:32 PM »
Oh Manuela! You have a good memory!
Rottweiler with scissors

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 19:35:07 PM »
I like indigotiger's idea of lingerie and toileandtrouble's of activewear but include swimwear too.  For anyone from the darkside, maybe a crazy quilt project (a pillow, a bag, a tablerunner)- use up bits of stash and try different machine & hand stitches.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 19:57:15 PM »
Part of me says just rerun this years contests again and I'll have a stab at them again, definitely ones I planned to participate in and things just passed me by.

Which of this year's contest would you like to see again?

Manuela

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 23:57:50 PM »
So far I gather we could run the following (thinking out loud here)

Hand sewing
- that could include Shashiko, Kantha, etc
- time frame?

Using up scraps (we did that in 2018)
- open to all categories

Several contests were quite popular this year, some not. So, it would make sense to re-run the popular ones and make them annual. For example a contest featuring a certain colour. This year we had ‘Having the Blues’, so next year it could be something in the lines of ‘Feeling Pink’, ‘Green with Envy’ -methinks @Lowena would like the latter particularly.
I also think ‘Florals Rule’ in spring/summer and ‘Plaids, Tartans & Checks’ in autumn could become an annual feature

Thank you @Francesca for this idea:
So, what about a mini SWAKOP - 3 coordinating garments that can each be worn with one of the others.  Bonus points if all 3 can be worn together - or something along those lines.

Thank you @Helen M:
How about a 6PAC of any combination spread over 2 or 3 months?

Great ideas from @indigotiger
I'm also thinking that a "Lovely Lingerie" contest would be nice; could be anything worn underneath a garment but not on it's own, so bras, camisoles, slips/petticoats, panties/knickers, etc.
Or what about an "Awesome Accesories" contest where the person would have to show the outfit that the accessory/accessories were meant to coordinate with; could be hats, bags, scarves, or even fabric jewelry...

Thanks @toileandtrouble (not sure about the fabric swap though, no time to organise that)
Manipulating fabric - pleats, tucks, cutouts etc
Fabric swap - send one of your unloveds on to another person to  make something. Say 2m limit possibly.
Metallics - gold, silver etc.
Unusual fastenings - not your normal zips, buttons.
Activewear - definitely not me - well, I'd make a headband!
Pockets.
Something reversible.

Thought, opinions and suggestions - keep them coming
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:45:14 AM by Manuela »

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 00:01:49 AM »
 :P  <3  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 07:42:29 AM »
Part of me says just rerun this years contests again and I'll have a stab at them again, definitely ones I planned to participate in and things just passed me by.

Which of this year's contest would you like to see again?

All of them because I didn't do any and followed the road paved with good intentions.....it's very warm where I am now (and not because I made too many outfits!)!   :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 08:03:42 AM »
@wrenkins  Oh, is that you over there? Hi!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sonatine

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »
They're all great ideas but I particularly love hand sewing, using up scraps, mini SWAKOP, and lingerie.

wrenkins

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
It is T&T and I'm sweltered.  :S
Hiya!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »
I think that sounds great. How about doing them every 3 months e.g 4 mini-SWAKOPS. I was going to suggest seasonal but I know personally I try to sew a season ahead. Maybe "Get ready for Spring" could run Jan - March. "Get ready for Summer" April to June. Don't know how that would work for other people though.

@Francesca, we could do them every three months as sew-alongs, I’m not sure I’d be able to manage them as contest - that would be too many contests running at the same time. Another possibility would be twice a year as 3-month contests instead of SWKOP.... Let’s see how many SWAKOP submissions we’ll have this year.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 14:34:23 PM »
I'm afraid I have no ideas, but will enter any that I can - although I do mostly only enter if a competition happens to coincide with something I'm making, and of course my entry is just there to make up the numbers, not a cat in hell's chance of winning anything  0_0 0_0

jintie

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 15:20:44 PM »
I think a handsewing project needs 2-3 months. Although it could run alongside another challenge, such as a SWAP.
Rottweiler with scissors

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 15:35:06 PM »
@jintie 2 or 3 months??!!  :S whatever are you intending to make??
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 16:01:56 PM »
although I do mostly only enter if a competition happens to coincide with something I'm making,

I'm a bit like that, and sometimes a competition would suit something I've just finished making!

I like he suggestion of having a specific colour once a year, should be easy to organise and leaves a lot of choice as to what to make.

Metallic, glitz and bling - maybe in the run up to Christmas.
Underwear/lingerie is a good suggestion.
Stash busting of course!  maybe incorporate two or more fabrics from stash.
Tailored jacket or coat - maybe that needs to be a 3 month option.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 16:59:28 PM »
I would like a competition for people to finish the things they started for this year"s completions but which didn't get completed in time.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily