The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place Contests in 2020 - suggestions please

Kwaaked

Re: The Sewing Place Contests in 2020 - suggestions please
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2019, 23:57:09 PM »
I'd make some suggestions, but my sense of humor goes down like a lead pipe on here usually.  Plus, for me, it doesn't really matter much.  I usually do make the garments for the contests about 2/3rds of the time, I just never actually enter.

I have a few pieces I have to make next year, but I'll do them regardless of a contest (namely lingerie...I need French knickers, a robe or two and a few slips/combinations).

Greybird

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2019, 09:09:27 AM »
@Kwaaked you must enter. I for one would love to see them. By the way I have enjoyed your sense of humour - I often don't have time to respond with my appreciation though. I dip in and out briefly throughout the day. Keep it coming!

Manuela

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2019, 23:42:06 PM »
So the first two contests next year will be:

Jungle January - sewing with animal prints, open to all categories

February - Making shirts

I’ll put the whole schedule out in due course. Instead of SAWKOP, we will do 2 seasonal mini wardrobing contests - one for summer, one for winter

BajaSusana

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »
Manuela!
Theses are both good contests. And muni wardrobes are always fun.

UttaRetch

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2019, 15:19:15 PM »
My sewing room should be set up next year and I think I might be able to join in at least one contest. 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2019, 08:59:51 AM »
My sewing room should be set up next year and I think I might be able to join in at least one contest.

Me too!!! Oh, OK. I'll never have a sewing room unless I get a certain fellow out of here... :devil: But I'm working on putting a table, small, very small, into my bedroom. I've identified which table and I've bought two excellent LED lamps as well as a very ergonomic chair to use. But I'm determined to enter a few contests.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
I'm determined to enter a few contests.

I’ll keep that in mind  :devil:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2019, 09:39:50 AM »
I've not reread all the ideas, naughty Nene, but one thought I've had is to suggest that what ever contests get slated for November and especially December are of the easier type. I think topics that might be giftable would be terrific. Ideas such as accessories, bags, pillows or home dec accessory. Garment wise maybe tee shirts, or cardigans, or just "knits". Things for our pets.

Just generally less complex so perhaps more people squeeze in the time to participate.

PS: Santa is bringing me a very nice tablet with a very nice camera. Very, very nice camera. Photos have been an obstacle for me in the past. That excuse is done.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2019, 13:27:00 PM »
One of the reasons why I pretty much stopped sewing @Renegade Sewist, was the lack of a dedicated workspace.  I now have a two bedroom flat and the smaller room will be my sewing room.  :D 

My brother had an old 'rise and fall' drawing board with a table top that can be locked into the horizontal.  The plan is mount two hollow core doors hinged down the middle to create a large cutting table.

elisep

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2019, 23:23:49 PM »
I love the idea of seasonal mini-SWAKOPs (the standard one was just too much of a commitment for me). However, as someone in the opposite hemisphere, I will obviously miss out :(
Any way the rules could be modified to work for either hemisphere? IE call it a "Seasonal SWAKOP" rather than a "Winter SWAKOP" or "Summer SWAKOP", and then you make a collection appropriate to your season?

Mind you, who knows if I'll get time to participate, so maybe best to leave it as is  :'(

Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

wrenkins

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »
I'm sure I read that it was seasonal rather than summer/winter but I can't find it now of course. @Manuela will know. We can't have you wearing snoods at Christmas!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »
I love the idea of seasonal mini-SWAKOPs (the standard one was just too much of a commitment for me). However, as someone in the opposite hemisphere, I will obviously miss out :(
Any way the rules could be modified to work for either hemisphere? IE call it a "Seasonal SWAKOP" rather than a "Winter SWAKOP" or "Summer SWAKOP", and then you make a collection appropriate to your season?

Mind you, who knows if I'll get time to participate, so maybe best to leave it as is  :'(

No worries, this will be accommodated @elisep