Flobear

Re: Sewing with Silk Fabric - tips please
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 10:49:01 AM »
Great idea @Roger Thank you
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 14:15:39 PM »
@FloBear - The Silk Society is where we get our silk for making C17th 'colours', ie, 6ft square flags.  Apart from the fact that silk will stretch on the bias at the slightest provocation and needs immediate stabilisation, I don't have problems with it.

Silk Society stuff is excellent but pricey although, from the sounds of it, you don't need a lot.  https://www.thesilksociety.com/

I've been cutting out patterns that haven't yet had their excess tissue trimmed away for years and it doesn't dull the shears.  Wouldn't ever use my shears on any other kind of paper, though.

Finally, Gutermann sew-all polyester works well on silk,  I find.

Flobear

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 17:19:41 PM »
Thank-you @HenriettaMaria
I shall add that to my ever-growing list of websites for sewing stuff  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ellabella

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 12:17:49 PM »
Can I piggy back as well because I’m looking for silk organza, nothing fancy.

I just want to have a pressing cloth and have been reading about  a method of making a pattern from an existing garment using a frixion pen and a piece of silk.

Why lots of sites seem to think silk organza is made of polyester is beyond me.

Rosieh

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 16:38:40 PM »
I use Beckfordsilk.co.uk Their prices are competitive for silk and you can purchase shade cards or a swatch for about 95p 0_0

SkoutSews

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 18:31:00 PM »
Thank you for that link, @Rosieh . I have a family wedding coming up later this year and I'm hatching a plan to make my MOG dress. Your link to Beckford silks looks very interesting, there's some lovely fabric there - and I'd never heard of them before.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 18:40:38 PM »
I’ve used them a few times and they’re very helpful.  They held an order over for me till a specific date as I was away.  Fabric arrived day after we got back.