The Sewing Place

Winter McCall's

Acorn

Re: Winter McCall's
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 08:40:44 AM »
Do you think a lot of that's due to it being too tight for her?

@UttaRetch - did you notice that the 8 gore skirt that you and I liked is described as 'Very loose fitting eight gore skirt'?  It certainly isn't on the model.

I could get very annoyed with McCalls for having a sale where their paper patterns are reduced to $3.99, but the pdf equivalents are $13.97!  I get that the usual difference isn't what you might expect because a lot of the cost is the pattern's development (although there should be some difference, because the manufacture and materials of the paper patterns obviously costs something) but why aren't the sale prices at least the same??
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kwaaked

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
This is why I said well tailored.  I'd have to add back darts as well.

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 16:15:56 PM »
I think it looks a little bit tight, but it could possibly be the way she is standing, pushing out her upper shoulders.
I did take her stance into account, but still think it doesn't look quite right.

@Acorn, I don't think the copy writer knows that they are talking about.

Kwaaked

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 18:38:43 PM »
One thing to point out about 7994: the lace overlay is not actually darted, that is all in the lining for the sample which is causing some of the discussion.  It's designed this way.  I would also wager this lace has a high lycra content, so it looks "smoother" when worn.  This also shows why foundation garments are useful: some of the bunching on the waist and back would smooth out as well.

As to the model's back, I imagine it is a cross of several things one of which is the dress is a bit too large overall for her.  She is standing with her shoulders pushed back and weirdly to make it look like it fit (these dresses aren't really tailored for a model, they make a size and the model fits in it basically) and that in turn causes all the lines to form which in turn causes it to look small.  She may also be broad shouldered or broad backed and adding additional problems (arm scythe bunching) and the fabric used in the dress seems to be a pongee or single knit lining, which in RTW causes many of these exact issues.

Not saying there is not issues with this dress as they present it, because there certainly are (the arm scythe is always one of my huge complaints with commercial patterns and one I usually redraft to correct is the big one).

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 22:51:09 PM »
If you see 3 McCalls you like on the US website and you wait until there is a sale then it works out at around about £21 including postage for 3 patterns - it's a little cheaper if you are a member of Club BMV. Takes 10-14 days to arrive.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde