The Sewing Place

Inspired by.... contest - voting thread

Manuela

Inspired by.... contest - voting thread
« on: October 26, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »
# 1 Bodgeitandscarper's entry

The inspiration pic from a Chinese takes-a-month-to-arrive website.

I started off with Burda 6972, but then realised I wanted princess seams in the upper bodice, so used my TnT bodice pattern, cut it for princess seams, and a centre front seam.

I used the sleeve head from the Burda pattern, cut that off, then gathered a rectangular piece of fabric for the lower sleeve.

It took me days to look for and decide on the embroidery design - I'm still not entirely happy with it, but it's ok.  I even remembered to do all the embroidery before trying to sew anything together.

The neck fastening is a freestanding lace design that's on my embroidery machine, I tried the darker lilac colour first, but decided the black was better.

The next one I make I need to lengthen the front upper bodice, I forgot my boobies would make the front high waist seam sit higher than the back.

I'm so pleased with this top, I now have some pale blue and some grey fabric coming, this winter I will be wearing mostly velvet  :)

#2 Sewingforfun’s entry

Here is my offering this month - my new Latin dance dress, made for a competition in Blackpool this coming weekend. The pattern is self-drafted, based on my existing ballroom pattern. Not all of it worked as it should have, but the stones cover a multitude of sins!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It was inspired by two rather fabulous dresses made by Chrisanne for Mia Linnick-Holden, a top young UK competitor.

It started off meaning to be a red version of the black one - you can still see this in the AB (silver) central pattern of the stoning, the shape of the skirt, and the band at the bottom, but in the end, I decided it needed more on the top to balance the hips, so added bits from the red one in the form of the fringe on the bust, the lace and more stoning all over.

I left off the hip fringe for the same reason, and made it in a solid crepe as befitting someone who is nearly 53 and not 13 like the girl in the pictures ( :o :o)! I also didn't use didn't use nearly as many stones, although there are still several thousand, and I think the effect will be OK.

I'm pleased with how it's come out, although there was an initial wobble as the original conception (minus lace and fringe, and with a horizontal seam at hip level) really didn't suit my somewhat pear-shaped figure! I'm looking forward to wearing on Sunday.

#3 SewRuthieSew’s entry

I was inspired by this style of top which has a woven front but a stretchy jersey back.

I used New Look 6420 View A (long sleeved batwing top).

As this is a knits only pattern and I was using woven and knit together, I cut up a size and flared out the hem. In the end I kept the extra size in the sleeves, but removed most of the extra added in the body as it was very loose.

Burgundy woven front, jersey back top.

I would definitely sew this again, its a great way of using woven fabrics in a dressy t-shirt. And I know it will get a lot more wear in my lifestyle than a blouse, plus the comfort of the jersey back is wonderful.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:31:17 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

Re: Inspired by.... contest - voting thread
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
Voting has started.....

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 10:25:25 AM »
Super difficult choice yet again ... Congrats to all THREE of you, they are all fabulous!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 10:26:59 AM »
All beautifully made, such clever people, very difficult to choose  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »
All lovely and so totally different - hmmm.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 11:16:01 AM »
Really very difficult.  All are amazing in their own way.

Going away to have a think...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

justpottering

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »
Wishing I had three votes well done everyone  :loveit:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 14:07:18 PM »
Eeny, Meeny ........voted! Super difficult choice again!

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 19:13:41 PM »
They're all excellent, all demonstrate skills, all lovely results - very difficult to pick one.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 21:04:27 PM »
I have voted - extremely difficult because they are all so good  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lisalou1965

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 06:27:09 AM »
Just wow, a hard choice, indeed. Congratultions to all of you, they are all gorgeous!
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

mums sewing machine

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 06:35:10 AM »
Voted - like everyone has said they are all fab, well done to you all xx
No such thing as too much fabric

Fabric Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 18:33:28 PM »
All excellent entries, as everyone has said it is really difficult to pick one!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)