The Sewing Place

Recover, Renovate

Iminei

Recover, Renovate
« on: October 28, 2019, 08:55:20 AM »
Apropos of nothing at all, except I dont know where to post this tho' it could be classed as a Quilting Accessory

I finally recovered my ironing pad thingmy which was looking very sad after a couple of months of intensive hot irons and applique work ... using bondaweb which always always seeps through the paper onto the iron and pad.
It had become impossible to use without gunking up the iron so the time was nigh!

So easy to do I wish I had done it months ago ... Thankfully my HeatnBond supplies have been replenished so gunk free applique from here on in ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

Re: Recover, Renovate
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:03:02 AM »
How is your ironing pad thinning constructed?  Did you make it yourself?  I've often thought it would be useful to have one on the flap of my machine cabinet.  When I'm piecing I'm backwards and forwards to the ironing board like a pendulum on speed.
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
@Ploshkin I scrounged a small piece of board from Mr.Rubys' garage and wrapped it in batting and a layer of heavy fabric. I used a staple gun to fix it all down. It's just the right size to sit on the side of my cabinet and now with my mini clover iron I can sew, swivel and iron to my hearts content.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
Nothing nicer than a nice fresh ironing cover - apart from a freshly changed bed!

@Ploshkin , I made my ironing pad from the cover on a lever arch file.  You can buy ironing felt at the Pound shop, and I wrapped it tightly a couple of times.  My cover though, is made on the principle of a pillowcase, so that I can change it easily.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 09:48:38 AM »
I'm afraid I bought this from a lady on the market a couple of years or four ago .... in fact in June 2015!!!

It was nice and cheap, had a small cutting mat measuring 19 x 28 cm (yes metric!) which is very useful for trimming small blocks on the other side, which has since come off and is very thin and hard ... which is what I need at times rather than a regular ironing boards squishiness ..

I still see the lady and her wares at the local craft market every month.

I'm going to glue some felt on the base to protect surfaces, (Tho' to be honest the dining room table has had it now, too many years of quilting, layering, pinning  :[  )

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »
@Ploshkin - I did the same as @rubywishes - covered a board with thin-ish wadding and a cotton cover stapled to the back. The wadding should be much thinner than an ironing board if it's going to be used for p&q - you get much better points that way. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 11:58:10 AM »
Thanks folks.  I have oodles of waddling, boards various and a staple gun so no excuses.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 13:14:21 PM »
I just use a folded towel on top of a cupboard
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 13:44:22 PM »
Mine's just a piece of board (can't remember where I scrounged it from) wrapped in wadding and covered with a piece of old sheet.  It's a bit bigger than Imi's, about 35cm x 45cm.  When it gets too mucky/gunked up it's just a case of stapling a new top layer on and then sewing a backing piece on to cover up the staples.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

RJR_38

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 19:20:07 PM »
Apropos of nothing at all, except I dont know where to post this tho' it could be classed as a Quilting Accessory

I finally recovered my ironing pad thingmy which was looking very sad after a couple of months of intensive hot irons and applique work ... using bondaweb which always always seeps through the paper onto the iron and pad.
It had become impossible to use without gunking up the iron so the time was nigh!

So easy to do I wish I had done it months ago ... Thankfully my HeatnBond supplies have been replenished so gunk free applique from here on in ...

Get a fusamat for applique - mine is about A3 size. Honestly it will change your applique forever and you will,wonder how you ever managed.before it -.it is amazing.

supergran

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 21:21:11 PM »
I do the same as Lowena. It works for me as I've very little space left for storing any more stuff!

What's a fusamat???

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 22:10:41 PM »
Is a fusamat the thing I saw on Sewing Quarter like a silicon layer with a blue border, nothing sticks to it?  -<
Willing but not always able :)

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 22:13:19 PM »
Willing but not always able :)

RJR_38

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 06:22:36 AM »
@supergran @Lilian

That is exactly it. You can get it more cheaply than that if you wait for offers (I bought mine when Sewing Quarter did one of their 20% off days). You can literally iron your bondawebbed pieces onto the mat - they don’t stick and the glue stays on the piece - scientific magic haha.

I use mine by putting the layout diagram under my mat (it is clear) and fusing all my pieces down as if my mat is my background fabric - this allows you to do all the overlaps etc. If you do a piece in the wrong order, no problem as they peel off the mat. Once you have done all of those you can lift the entire piece off in one go and fuse it to your background fabric as normal.

I don’t do any appliqué blocks bigger than A3 so that mat is plenty big enough for me but I know they do much larger ones as well.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 07:13:34 AM »
I was reading the blurb with interest, thinking developed silicone paper until I got to the price ....

:o    :o    :o

HOW much ?????

:S    :S     :S