The Sewing Place

Frister and Rossman Model 45 mk1

Kittensposies

Frister and Rossman Model 45 mk1
« on: April 24, 2017, 20:58:21 PM »
Visiting my parents at the weekend, I pestered my mum to get her sewing machine out. It's a Frister and Rossman model 45 mark 1.

She grumbled about it being heavy, and I remember never being able to lift it when I was a kid, but I was totally unprepared for how heavy it is!! Good grief.

We had a play around with it and my husband commented how smooth and quiet it is compared to my machines, and he's right! It sounds heavenly!

Unfortunately despite running smoothly it can't make stitches. We had a total nightmare getting the bobbin loaded, and pulled through to the top. The machine can only do one or two stitches before the upper thread gets tangled around the bobbin case.

When we opened the compartment I found a lot of bits of tangled thread, so I suspect this is why my mum stopped using it. She stopped sewing when we moved to the house my parents live in now, approx 25 years ago, and she couldn't remember why at first but now recalls having a lot of issues with her machine (not even thinking about how much it weighs!).

Anyhoo, the point to all this is that although it's not a vintage vintage machine, I am still in love with it! Am trying to persuade mum to let me have it so I can see if I can get it repaired, and am advising her on a new machine as she is fairly keen to get back into sewing with something a bit less temperamental!

I can really see how people get hooked on older machines.... this may be a slippery slope!!!

Morgan

Kittensposies

Re: Frister and Rossman Model 45 mk1
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 21:49:46 PM »
http://fristerandrossmann.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks so much Morgan! I found this when googling the other day :) Not enough info to enable my super-handy dad to try a repair himself but it was useful in putting the bobbin bits back together when it all fell apart!!

arrow

Re: Frister and Rossman Model 45 mk1
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 23:36:05 PM »
It sounds like there's nothing directly wrong with it but mosty a case of sorting out threading, cleaning bobbin case, reace hook, feed dogs, needle in correct way, etc. It looks like this  model has everything you want in a vintage machine; all metal, smooth running and capable.

Have the machine out on a table, spend the next few days sorting it out; detecting all oil points, clean out all lint, fluff thread, parts of broken needles that might turn up. This means, take out the bobbin case, uncrew the needle plate, inspect all moving parts under lids and covers; turn the hand wheel, move knobs and levers; every where, were metal touches metal needs a few drops (repeat it the next few days and run the machine inbetween).