The Sewing Place

Lloyd Loom chair refurb finished!

sewingj

Lloyd Loom chair refurb finished!
« on: October 30, 2019, 10:17:34 AM »
Several of you have advised me along the way with this project so I thought you might like to see the end result.
I acquired the chair when I cleared my Dad`s bungalow - I think it started off pink but Dad had painted it white and by the time I got it it was looking very shabby.  I actually tried to sell it but got no interest so it was a case of chuck it or try to do it up and keep it.
I painted it with Rustoleum Painter`s Touch, Stone Grey satin.  The foam for the cushion came from eFoam. 
I hadn`t made a box cushion before so I made a "toile" from an old sheet and ending up leaving that as a permanent cover for the foam
The final fabric came from themillshoponline and was described as "linen mix, dryclean only" but I wanted to be able to wash the cover so did prewash the fabric and although it shrank it was fine.  I also pre-washed the piping and was surprised how much that shrank.
All in all I am very pleased with it though, being picky, I think the cover should have been a wee bit smaller - I`m hoping it might shrink a little bit more the first time I wash it!
Many thanks to everyone who offered help along the way
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Kenora

Re: Lloyd Loom chair refurb finished!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 10:27:26 AM »
@sewingj - it's looking great. The chair has come up well, and I love the piping. :loveit:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 10:33:01 AM »
That looks good, well done.  I have two of those chairs (one was my Mum's, one was OH's mum's) and I spray painted both of them.  One is posh and has a sprung seat, but the other I made a cushion for.  I forgot the straight edge was at the front and had to unpick the curved back as I didn't want my hand stitching showing at the front after I'd put the foam in.  I re-upholstered the top of OH's mum's linen basket/stool to match the cushion. Much better than the brown plastic fake leather that was on it.

Just realised how scratched they've got!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:39:27 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 10:50:10 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper   I actually think these chairs look better with a thinner cushion as you have done, but Husband is very tall and wanted the seat to be higher.

@Kenora  the piping  came ready made from ebay - I`ve bought from this chap before and was pleased with it.  (Thanks for your tip-off about leaving the toile on - it made life much easier!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-mtrs-JUMBO-5mm-Flanged-Piping-Insertion-Cord-Rope-Trimming-Sewing-Upholstery/261801493448?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=560667298601&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:58:55 AM by sewingj »

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »
It looks wonderful - excellent job! I had been thinking about a couple of Lloyd Loom chairs for OH's summerhouse he's building. Having seen yours I shall definitely look out for some. Well done!

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 14:01:22 PM »
That looks great, @sewingj  !  My DD would absolutely love that cushion fabric - all her favourite colours. 

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 16:32:11 PM »
Well done @sewingj  , Iove the cushion fabric.
Still learning

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 18:30:56 PM »
thanks everyone - this is the fabric

https://www.the-millshop-online.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=calista&submit=Search

"Monsoon Home" is printed on the selvedge.  Mine is the "Midnight" colourway
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 18:32:48 PM by sewingj »

Missie

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 19:51:13 PM »
That is fabulous  :loveit: