The Sewing Place

So glad to be here

Greybird

Re: So glad to be here
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 09:17:27 AM »
I find that dark grey will do for black, navy, brown, dark green or grey fabrics, whereas cream will do for most lighter colours. I don't use light on dark colours or dark on light. Wherever possible I line the jobs up according to the colour I already have threaded.

pip

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 13:19:53 PM »
Those are good ideas thanks Toile and Greybird. I didn't realize I could just change the thread on one of the needles.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 22:10:51 PM »
One of the serger books that I ultimately bought after getting it from the library several times talked about getting colors that blend with what you sew. I seldom sew on white fabric or white backgrounds. They suggested a sort of dark rose/mauve tone, a grey and a dark navy as working with most fabrics. If you're sewing the seams and worry about show you can just use regular thread in the needles on that garment.

Some people are fanatic about an exact match of thread to fabric. I have been known to intentionally use something that contrasts. With the serger I might sew a black garment with black in the needles and red or gold in the loopers.

I have about 6-8 sets of thread and several are unopened, like white. Mostly I've used black, red, medium grey and a cream/off white on really light fabric, as those are what best suit my fabric colors.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sara-S

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2019, 22:01:24 PM »
Hi and welcome @pip !  I don’t know a thing about overlockers but I do know what it’s Ike to try to grab thread ends that are short or hard to see. My favorite tool for this is a pair of hemostat pliers.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Marniesews

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2019, 00:58:00 AM »
I thought I'd already said hello...but apparently not so I'll say it now  0_0 and offer a little info on the question of thread colours. This blog .article and video makes some good points but I tend to succumb to 4 matching threads in quite a few colours. It's partly because I can get decent (but not expensive) overlocker thread locally on both big cones and smaller cops so I have a mix depending on what I gauge as its likely popularity.

Grey, rose and ivory are often quoted as the most adaptable colours across a wide array of fabrics and this image demonstrates that well.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2019, 03:10:13 AM »
@Marniesews , that photo's from the book I have that I was referencing. Then another one said for blacks and most deeper blues a navy was good.

It really works to blend them. For you though, IIRC, as you do sewing for others I would do as you do and match the threads. It's only on things for myself that I get to indulge in other colors.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 18:53:34 PM »
If you sew for others, I would keep a rag bag of offcuts from shortening things.  Then you can test stitches on a similar fabric before you tackle the real stuff.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m