The Sewing Place

Overlocker Crisis!

b15erk

Overlocker Crisis!
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »
I have a Pfaff 4850 Coverstyle (Combination O/L-Coverstitch machine), and have had no issues with it previously.  Last night was an exception.

This machine has two sets of needle positions, and to use the O/L, you need to take out the needles and move them to the right.  I couldn't do this as the tiny grub screw was missing from its tiny little hole, where it waits to be tightened to hold the needle in place.  Absolute panic set in.  I stripped the machine down, hoping it would have slipped into the body of the machine.  Nothing doing.  Emptied the two fabric bins, and went over the carpet with my fingertips.  OH was warned that he was not to hoover until it was found.

Then I had a lightbulb moment, use one of the grub screws from the CS side until I found it. Good thinking, except it wouldn't go in, and the needle wouldn't push into place (you do see where we're going with this don't you?).

Head scratching time.  Then another thought occurred to me.  I put the tiny screwdriver into the hole, and turned.  Out came one tiny little grub screw  :| , to stop it from working its way out I had screwed it in further than usual, and the hole appeared empty of grub screws.  :|

Peace is now restored, the overlocked seam now sewn, and all grub screws are firmly in their place.  The unintended consequence is, that I have clean, empty bins, and a squeaky clean Pfaff!!

Jessie  :|

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

fajita

Re: Overlocker Crisis!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
 :D. Oh dear. What a palaver. Glad it sorted itself in the end.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »
Always a silver lining....

shadykittykat

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »
Glad you got it all sorted  :)
Kate
Running, sewing, eating