The Sewing Place

Black? What was I thinking?

Catllar

Black? What was I thinking?
« on: November 02, 2019, 16:25:33 PM »
I hate sewing black fabric - can't see it well at all, so can someone explain why I bought black 4way stretch viscose jersey (  slippery,  heavy and drapey and silky) and have cut out a Love Notions Tank  :frock:? AND why did I think it'd be a good idea to line the bodice back and front with the same black fabric? Oh yes, to avoid the back and armhole bindings on such slippery fabric. 

I thought I'd put pockets in the seams too, and make it maxi length and add additional godets  in the side seams for a touch more swish. And while I'm at it I might put built in cups in the bust. ( that's still a might)

So what started out as a simple afternoon make has turned into a full blown project. Why am I almost incapable of simply doing the pattern without changing it? I'm sure it's not only me?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 16:28:02 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

Re: Black? What was I thinking?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 17:44:27 PM »
Haha. Maybe you just like making work for yourself.   :)
I can’t see well on black either but still use it! :[
No you’re not the only one who changes things.  Tend to use my own patterns nowadays but even those I change right on the fabric when cutting out.  Of course if it turns out well, I can’t really replicate it too well then.  But it makes life interesting. 

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 17:48:07 PM »
I started some black knitting a year ago.  That was also a really stupid thing to do - I only knit in the evenings, and even with a lamp behind me I could never see the stitches.  I gave up.

[Edited because knotting and knitting are not the same thing...]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 18:55:45 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 18:48:10 PM »

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 19:47:54 PM »
Ooh - those would look very nice in my Christmas stocking!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 21:27:00 PM »
I feel your pain @Catllar and unpicking stretch stitch on black is nigh impossible!! :S
Was Sewnanny

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 21:41:16 PM »
@Catllar you're not the only one. I've never been known to make the pattern exactly as the designer planned either.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 23:16:45 PM »
Seems like I'm in good company!

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 07:56:38 AM »
Luckily black looks awful on me so I'm not often tempted to sew it.  But I have the same problem with any dark colours, so I do feel your pain, @Catllar  !  And yes, I can rarely leave a pattern as is, and usually change it as I go along, crossing everything that my wonky vision turns out ok  ;)

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 17:00:09 PM »
So, it's nearly finished. Had to have a  total twat moment, didn't I? I decided to add pockets and carefully measured the placement on the side seams then cleverly attached the pockets starting at the bottom mark, so they are nearly down at knee level and just a tad pointless! I overlocked them off in a fit of temper. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I added a godet in the CB skirt seam. Then I thought I'd finish ti with a lettuce hem and all was going fine as far as the last 10 cms, when the machine decided to throw a hissy and eat the fabric and tie itself into knots. Had to stop ( again) as too dark to see to rethread the thing. Grrrrr.

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 22:41:19 PM »
I thought it was just me couldn't see to sew black - and unpicking is a nightmare - although my new fancy sewing machine light helps. Unfortunately dress codes for our concerts are all black so needs must.

BajaSusana

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 13:18:31 PM »
I am late to this discussion, but!
I love black. I love slinky black dresses and shape showing black tops and classic black pants. I have vision issues and still I saw on black.
Just yesterday I bought some black stretch velvet and some black cotton Lycra knit.
When I sell on black I use dark red or dark purple thread. That way I can see where I’m going see where I’ve been and see what I need to rip out. If there’s topstitching to be done then I pull out my trusty O foot which is the quarter inch foot and I call it my oxygen foot because it keeps me breathing well and not screaming. Top stitching or any visible stitching will be done in black otherwise all seems are done in red or purple and then it does not show through. Try that next time you’re possessed to see with black!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »
I’m the same as @Nevis5 - black makes me look ill , so I rarely sew it. I have similar issues though with navy or dark brown, and  it doesn’t help that my sewing room is quite dark. A magnifying lamp is essential!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 10:28:31 AM »
I'm another black hater and that now includes navy.  Even with strong lights black is not good to sew, which is a shame because I bought a nice pinstripe remnant for a skirt a few years ago.  I pull it out, look, and it goes straight back. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »
That's  good idea @BajaSusana . I always use contrast colours when I'm making costumes but I went dark grey with this and whilst I can just about see it , it aint easy. The black fabric seems to just suck all the light out.