The Sewing Place

Quilt design software/graphics software

WendyW

Quilt design software/graphics software
« on: November 03, 2019, 06:18:24 AM »
I'm looking for software with a particular feature. It does not have to be specifically a quilting software, but I figure that's the best place to start. I've looked at some videos showcasing some design software and they use a "library" of quilt blocks to give you options to design the whole quilt. Are there any programs that would allow me to design the BLOCK, placing lines and shapes where I want them, then allowing me to use that block in designing a quilt. A non-quilting program that has precise drawing capability with geometric shapes would probably also suit my purpose.

supergran

Re: Quilt design software/graphics software
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 21:00:48 PM »
I've used Quilt Pro software and it allows you to design the block from scratch, although I didn't find it particularly easy. It does come with a library of blocks as well which you can customise. There is another one, who's name I can't think of for the moment, and I've heard of designers using that one more often. I don't know how easy it is to use though. Maybe you could download a trial of either of them and see if it suits your purposes.
Just remembered, it's called Electric Quilt.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 21:05:09 PM by supergran »

Deafoldbat

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 22:22:20 PM »
I've used Quiltpro for years and it's pretty good. It's basically a drawing program with some extra quilty bits. I also have EQ but don't get on with it very well; it seems to want to do things for me as if it knows best. It doesn't. ><

WendyW

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 22:27:24 PM »
Thanks Ladies! When searching last night, I looked at Electric Quilt, but if it does what I'm looking for, you can't tell it from their preview. @Deafoldbat, your complaint about it is something that would drive me mad, so it sounds like a good one for me to stay away from!

Quilt-Pro never came up on my search, but it looks like it has the capability I'm after. They also have a couple quilt coloring books on their site, which are exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to create, customized to my own designs. Those are only $10, so I'll start with those and see what kind of options they have while I'm discussing the bigger purchase with hubs.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 22:37:08 PM by WendyW »

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 07:26:28 AM »
Lack of technical ability is what has prevented me from using programmes such as EQ and QuiltPro and I have found that, despite having been given lovely note books/ledgers for my quilting ideas over the years, most of my quilt designs/layouts/calculations have been scribbled on the back of a (virtual, as I've never smoked) 'fag packet' ... most often an old envelope/shopping list which hangs around for a while and then disappears into the ether after a big clear out.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again