The Sewing Place

Tablecloth/curtains?

Greybird

Tablecloth/curtains?
« on: November 04, 2019, 15:16:03 PM »
OH has been complaining bitterly about a draught coming from under our (just under sill length) bedroom curtains. He wants long curtains. I told him that that will be too expensive this side of Christmas. I did, however, find some on Ebay for under £40. Problem is that I carefully made sure they were long enough and quite forgot about the width and they are a bit too narrow.

Earlier this week though, in an antique centre, I found an enormous damask tablecloth - about 13ft long and it's wide enough. Even at that, it's about 10 inches short for making 2 curtains from. I have washed it and managed to get out several marks. What I'm thinking is that if I cut 4 bands from another cloth (I already have several) I could sew on a piece at the top of each, making the seam coincide with the bottom of the header tape, and another piece at the bottom, turning up the whole piece for a hem. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Silver Rose

Re: Tablecloth/curtains?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 15:31:27 PM »
@Greybird , I would just add a band to the bottom of the curtains if you have enough extra fabric.
Still learning

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 16:09:21 PM »
@Silver Rose I did think about that but I have a suspicion that the other cloths I have may not be quite as good quality as this one. I have to shift furniture in the spare bedroom to get them out from the divan drawer. If they are good enough I could do that. They definitely won't have the same woven-in pattern, although it would probably only be me that would notice!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 19:14:07 PM »
Blackout lining is great for stopping draughts.  It's dirt-cheap and you don't even need to hem it.  Might be a bit unsightly hanging below existing curtains but it will do the job in the short-term.  I made a pair with just lining header tape for MiL's spare room when DS was tiny to prevent early-morning wakening and used that single-row tape that the top of the blind is sandwiched between so they were really quick to knock out.

Nerys

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »
Maybe you could add a shop bought nice tablerunner to it, either some plain color that is also in the tablecloth or a pattern that is similar. For drafts of windowsill I make draft snake, sort of like a sausage made of quilt cotton stuffed with batting/wadding or old socks. :)

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 20:22:45 PM »
Thank you for your interest and suggestions. I decided to go ahead with what I had and see what turned out. I found another cloth to cannibalise but it was a much coarser quality than the big one - that has a finer, more "polished" finish - so I decided to keep as much of it hidden as possible. The only bit that shows on the right side is the heading where it is gathered up. The other part forms the back of the hem. It was a bit of a marathon having lined them as well - I hate handing large quantities of fabric - but I was pleased with the result. Until I hung them that is! I had measured from the rail to the ground and the right hand curtain was perfect. Then I hung the left one. Previously unnoticed by me, the curtain rail is not level! Having only had short curtains there since we moved in it didn't occur to me that it might be crooked. I think it's the same distance from the ceiling at both ends but the ceiling is not level either. The left curtain drapes on the ground.

On the plus side, OH says it's the first time he's been warm in that room for the last 4 winters.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
@Greybird I once asked the question should a curtain pole be parallel to ceiling, windowsill or floor? The right answer is ceiling.  :)
Too late for me too but now I always remember.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 13:58:05 PM »
Would have been better if I had measured both ends of the pole to the floor, but I don't think I could bring myself to put a sloping hem on the curtain!

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 21:01:53 PM »
@Greybird I once asked the question should a curtain pole be parallel to ceiling, windowsill or floor? The right answer is ceiling.  :)
Too late for me too but now I always remember.  0_0

The pole should be parallel to whichever "horizontal" surface is nearest to it, so 99% of the time that does mean the ceiling, but if there is a low down window like the tiny on on my landing which is about shoulder height, if that, then the pole (or track) goes parallel to the actual window pane.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 07:58:29 AM »
The pole should be parallel to whichever "horizontal" surface is nearest to it, so 99% of the time that does mean the ceiling, but if there is a low down window like the tiny on on my landing which is about shoulder height, if that, then the pole (or track) goes parallel to the actual window pane.
That  makes sense too @Brenda but then when the curtains are closed, they look squint.  8) My curtains are all high but must make a note not to have a low window!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!