The Sewing Place

The good run has come to the end

Gernella

The good run has come to the end
« on: November 06, 2019, 11:21:40 AM »
I've not had a disaster for at least two years possibly longer but now I've got one.  It's the Waffle Bamboo coat, which I didn't like, but then she put a zip in so my interest peaked. 

It was the original pattern with another smaller one added, so by the time you'd finished you had two set of instructions so I was batting between them both and then going rogue on my own with none.  The Tosti made was just right, larger than I normally have but with the Thinsulate quilted lining in it worked out right.  The next Tosti I made was smaller but just right although with some weight loss a size down would have been better.  I read a review that this coat was loose, so I came down a size (or was it two!).

Anyway got the zips in no problem got the snaps in but then realised that when I tried to fasten the snaps there was no real overlap as you have when you get two separate facings, also a bit of pull at the bottom (needed a size up).  Also one bottom snap, I'd not noticed the interfacing used on the top of the coat didn't reach to the last snap, so only the fabric to grip onto.  Instruction used the button markings and just said move over (I moved the wrong way).

So I spit feathers, left for a few days, nearly didn't get to sleep one night planning what to do next.  Also I'd decided that I didn't like it long length.  Fortunately for some reason I had too much fabric.  It was a remnant and I think there was a lot more than what was shown.

So plan B.  Take the zip out ( was going to buy a shorter one but colour I wanted only available in US and would have been December before it arrived) shortened it and inserted again.  One was in the right place but the other moved further into the body on a new facing.  I've had a quick pin down and it looks a lot better.  The top snap is dodgy to put in because the top is actually inside the coat on the facing so that's the next step.

Fortunately it was never going to be a winter coat just a light spring/summer one so likely to be left open most of the time.  Also I noticed with the second Tosti that once I added the lining in, the jacket seemed larger because no clothes catching on the fabric so the same might happen on this coat.

Other thing I've noticed is when I measured the sleeves they came down well past my finger ends. Now inserted they are much shorter and I've got to do a hem, although that's a minor problem easily solved.

I shut shop end of this month for Christmas so I've got until then to finish off :S
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

ckj514

Re: The good run has come to the end
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 21:44:09 PM »
Sounds frustrating! I hope it all works out in the end. I'm trying to muster up the nerve to start a coat project but it all feels too intimidating. And I wouldn't know what to do if I ended up with half the issues you're having  :S Good luck!

mums sewing machine

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 17:28:05 PM »
I agree with @ckj514 - I admire anyone who makes a coat! If I’d have been you the whole thing would’ve been in the bin by now!!

Good luck x
No such thing as too much fabric

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 10:21:17 AM »
Sounds frustrating! I hope it all works out in the end. I'm trying to muster up the nerve to start a coat project but it all feels too intimidating. And I wouldn't know what to do if I ended up with half the issues you're having  :S Good luck!

Don't take any notice of my problems @ckj514 , coats are very easy really and straightforward.  Two sets of instructions didn't help and worst part of all, going down to the wrong size.  Plus I am a bit of a drama queen and since I can't vent at DH (he would start to 'help' and that would be a disaster) I have to vent somewhere else.

I'm happy now that I've shifted one side of the zip so barring being a size too small (which the lining might assist with), it should be okay.

I think if you make a coat for the first time, best idea is to get a nice workable fabric, not too thick.  First coat I ever made was when I was around 17 with no money to buy one in the shops.  It was just a wrap over (I had no idea how to make buttonholes), with a small collar and no pockets.  I think it put me on a couple of years until I could buy one.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »
@ckj514 as @Gernella says, don’t be put off making a coat.  They can be very complicated but they can also be simple.  There are a lot of patterns out there that are even unlined.  There’s something for everyone's ability and time constraints. 

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 12:24:06 PM »
My first coat was what they called a 'duster coat' which I made when I was 17, this was paired with a matching dress.  I don't think people wear duster coats these days, but back then was quite the thing to wear especially if travelling to and from London on the train.  I enjoyed making this, and yes it was unlined.  I then went on to do a tailoring course and thus suits, jackets and coats were made using the proper tailoring interfacings and stitches.  My wedding  'going away suit' was made before the tailoring course and I used hair canvas as the interfacing on this and also lining and I was then only 20.

Why not try a simple shaped coat pattern to start with and you might just be surprised at what you can achieve.  There are plenty of people on TSP who are willing to help you over the airwaves as it were.  Go and have a look at Sonatine's coat that she made last year it is stunning and she has made an excellent job with this.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
I really like that coat worn by the Duchess of Cambridge yesterday, being a zip freak, suited me down to the ground.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 18:37:36 PM »
I really like that coat worn by the Duchess of Cambridge yesterday, being a zip freak, suited me down to the ground.
I thought exactly the same @Gernella it was lovely!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

ckj514

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 14:17:00 PM »
Oh I'm definitely going to try it, I have all the fabric, lining, interlining, pattern chosen... I just keep sewing other things first because I'm a bit of a chicken  ;)

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 15:07:02 PM »

I couldn't find a full length picture, but I imagine it's her usual 'fit and flare' style.  One commentator said it was Catherine Walker whilst another, Alexander McQueen, but I couldn't find it from either.

With a little bit of work, it could be a passable copy.