The Sewing Place

The Darkside in 2020 ..... Suggestions Box

Sara-S

Re: The Darkside in 2020 ..... Suggestions Box
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 02:29:42 AM »
I could do Mug Rat Swaps. They are within my finite skill set and feasible, in terms of postage from the US to where-ever.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

WendyW

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 03:01:16 AM »
The PROJECT LINUS - Nope. I'm on the wrong side of the ocean.

A SPRING EQUINOX MUG RAT SWAP - Yes! The last one was fun, and the postage is fairly minimal, even for an ocean crossing.

BLOCK OF THE MONTH - Maybe.

DARKSIDE BLOCK SWAP - Maybe - will depend on details and timing.

A SEWING ROOM ACCESSORIES SWAP - No

A FABRIC POSTCARD SWAP - Maybe - How is this different from a Mug Rug? Wouldn't they both be small squares of quilted fabric?

MYSTERY QUILTALONGATHON - Nope. My life is currently not cooperating with large project plans.

SCRAP STASH QUILT CHALLENGE - Yes. I make these pretty consistently anyway.

@rubywishes - Are you in the USA? Swaps can be arranged so you send to someone else here, and save you some postage, but the small things like the mug rug swap aren't much- mine only cost $3 and change to send from the US to UK.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 07:51:52 AM »
Mugrat swap, definitely; the animal quilt I would love to do but realistically I am not sure I can manage. I am not sure how the block of the month works, but I am certainly very interested. I find traditional blocks fascinating, although I have not tackled many.
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Flobear

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 08:12:07 AM »
If people - including the designers of the tutorials - find a block of the month a bit full on, it could be a Block of Every Other Month (catchy title, huh?)

Not sure what I'd have a go at but it woudn't be anything big.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 09:52:45 AM »
@WendyW  RubyWishes is in Australia..... enjoying early summer - lucky bu**er :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »
Patchwork toy?
Wheat / lavender cushion?
Placemats with cutlery holder?
Indoor plantpot cover?

@Iminei I'm not actually sure what a postcard ( in this context ) is ? Mr Google wasn't very clear.... enlightenment please....is it very fiddly??

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »
 How about an art quilt either lap quilt size or bigger..... open to one's own interpretation ? Lots of inspiration online. This could appeal to clever, experienced sewers even if they haven't dabbled in The Darkside, and P&Qers who would like to stretch themselves and try something different 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 11:20:53 AM by Lowena »

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »
I'd be up for a BOM. I didn't follow religiously last time but I did use some of the blocks for other projects.  :)
Most of what Lowe said.
BOEOM @FloBear
sewing accessories
Linus (if they'll accept last year's  :|)
Mystery quilt maybe...
The block swap thing depending on what it entailed.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kitten

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 14:04:32 PM »
I'm interested in mug rug swaps, it was fun last time, would like to try and do a Project Linus quilt and the darkside block swap sounds good also.

Manuela

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 23:06:22 PM »
How about another cushion cover swap. It was great to watch from the sidelines and participants seemed very happy.

RJR_38

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 06:48:20 AM »
I’ve had look through the large number of swaps my US forum does and other ones include a table runner swap and a pin cushion swap - this would be good for lightsiders as well!

They also do a ‘virtual quilt along weekend’ once a month fri-mon (could be sew along on here to include more people) which is basically just a chatting thread where people talk about the project they are currently doing and post updates and pics etc as the weekend goes on.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2019, 05:58:42 AM »
I've done a blatant copy & past from @WendyW for the answers with a few additions.  :angel:

The PROJECT LINUS - Nope. I'm on the wrong side of the ocean. Thought of doing one to donate here but the local Director won't accept anything from anyone with cats or dogs due to possible allergies.

A SPRING EQUINOX MUG RAT SWAP - Yes! The last one was fun, and the postage is fairly minimal, even for an ocean crossing. I believe Wendy on the postage so will be asking her for mailing coaching.

BLOCK OF THE MONTH - Maybe. Yes!

DARKSIDE BLOCK SWAP - Maybe - will depend on details and timing.

A SEWING ROOM ACCESSORIES SWAP - No Keeping my sewing room accessories for myself.  :devil:

A FABRIC POSTCARD SWAP - Maybe - How is this different from a Mug Rug? Wouldn't they both be small squares of quilted fabric? Yes. They're fun.

MYSTERY QUILTALONGATHON - Nope. My life is currently not cooperating with large project plans. No. I don't do anything over lap sized.

SCRAP STASH QUILT CHALLENGE - Yes. I make these pretty consistently anyway. Sounds like fun and I've got scraps.....
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.