The Sewing Place

The Darkside in 2020 ..... Suggestions Box

Iminei

The Darkside in 2020 ..... Suggestions Box
« on: November 05, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »
The evenings have drawn in and there's no getting away from the fact that 2019 is winding down and there is a spanky new decade on the horizon and I would like to plan a series of Events for the Darkside for next year and am asking for your help and suggestions.

These are some things I have in mind ......

The PROJECT LINUS Challenge and Handover will be running again
The Sewing Place's theme this year is  ..... ANIMAL QUILT

After our super successful Mug Rat Swap, A SPRING EQUINOX MUG RAT SWAP

I'm considering reviving the BLOCK OF THE MONTH as we have a new influx of P&Q'ers amongst us....
Making a series of tutorials for Twelve Traditional Blocks but using a modern colour palette to do this.

Would anyone be interested in that ?????

Another DARKSIDE BLOCK SWAP with the goal of making a small lap quilt.

A SEWING ROOM ACCESSORIES Swap .... pin cushions, thread catchers, needle rolls ....
anything and everything for the sewing room.

A FABRIC POSTCARD SWAP ...

Another MYSTERY QUILTALONGATHON ...
this is a LARGE quilt (but it is beeeautiful) and would be a Six Part Tutorial.

Aaaand now its over to YOU ....

I need your suggestions and ideas too and also an idea of how many of you would be interested in taking

PLUS

SCRAP STASH QUILT CHALLENGE ... could be a hanging, table runner, cot quilt or bigger, but must be from your scrap stash!!!!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 14:44:25 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

Re: The Darkside in 2020 ..... Suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:59:22 AM »

The PROJECT LINUS  ..... ANIMAL QUILT
Yes to that one.

A SPRING EQUINOX MUG RAT SWAP
Maybe

BLOCK OF THE MONTH
Probably not.

DARKSIDE BLOCK SWAP
Yes.

A SEWING ROOM ACCESSORIES SWAP
Yes.

A FABRIC POSTCARD SWAP
No.

MYSTERY QUILTALONGATHON ...
Proably not.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 10:20:40 AM »
The PROJECT LINUS Challenge...  ANIMAL QUILT - yes.  I have the pattern and most of the fabric.  I will NOT be sewing the binding on en route to the NEC next year!

A SPRING EQUINOX MUG RAT SWAP - yes, quick and easy and a lot of fun.

BLOCK OF THE MONTH - maybe not every month but will join in when a block takes my fancy.

Another DARKSIDE BLOCK SWAP with the goal of making a small lap quilt. - definitely.  I've been waiting for this since the star swap (was too new and shy to join that one).  How about HST blocks?

A SEWING ROOM ACCESSORIES Swap - yes.

A FABRIC POSTCARD SWAP - definitely.  Good chance to try something new.

Another MYSTERY QUILTALONGATHON ... - probably not.  I still haven't quilted the last one.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 12:32:28 PM »
Our vertical house extension should be starting fairly early next year and I can't see me being  able to sew much as my current sewing room will be emptied to become an office so that the current office can be used to accommodate stairs.  If the refurbishment we did 8 years ago is anything to go by I will also have about 3 months painting once the building is finished.
I've already decided what I want to do for the Project Linus quilt so I may try and squeeze that in before work starts. 
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 05:56:20 AM »
All the swaps and projects: no.....postage from here to there (and from there to here as well?) is just too prohibitive for me. I am acutely aware that I am not living in Britain/Europe and am mostly watching through my window at you all over there having a great time. haha, I feel a bit like a stalker!  A friendly stalker that is!

Block of the month: depends on how slammed I get with life as I am a very slow P&Qer and get very tunnel focused.

Mystery quilt: no...I still have the last one, or was it the first one (I dunno) languishing in a box somewhere as there was that muddle up with the pieces and I haven't got around to trying to sort it out to see if I have enough fabric to redo. Probly won't I suspect :'(

BUT, I will be ever present, cheering from the sidelines and putting my two bobs' worth in from time to time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:02:39 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

RJR_38

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 06:32:34 AM »
The PROJECT LINUS ANIMAL QUILT
Unlikely

A SPRING EQUINOX MUG RAT SWAP
Depending on timing with my holiday, yes

BLOCK OF THE MONTH
Probably not as I’m not up to date on this years ones. But never say never!

DARKSIDE BLOCK SWAP
Yes.

A SEWING ROOM ACCESSORIES SWAP
Yes.

A FABRIC POSTCARD SWAP
Possibly.

MYSTERY QUILTALONGATHON ...
No - I like to know what I am making!

I’m excited as I currently do many of these on my US forum (they do most of them monthly) but I can’t do it often as postage is so prohibitive.

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »
I agree with all of BrendaP’s replies, though I would definitely do another mug rug swap. (What about a tea cosy swap sometime- or is it only me who uses one all the time:just think tea made in a mug tastes different)

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
I would like to say yes to all the smaller projects (Mug Rat Swap, Sewing Room Accessories swap, Fabric Postcard swap) and would love to do the Block of the Month again, but realistically have to accept that time may not allow.

I like Sheilago's suggestion of a tea cosy swap, and would add that maybe recipients could ask for a cafetiere cover/wrap instead if they're not tea drinkers! 

We could definitely broaden the horizons of this swap ... Imi xxx
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:09:25 AM by Iminei »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »
I suggested a Block of the Month as we seem to have had an influx of new quilters over here in the last 6 months or so .... I had a year off this year (very much needed) and just wondered whether there would be any interest.

Also please remember I would really like YOUR ideas for events.

Celia

Re: The Darkside in 2020 ..... Suggestions Box
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 10:17:11 AM »
The evenings have drawn in and there's no getting away from the fact that 2019 is winding down and there is a spanky new decade on the horizon and I would like to plan a series of Events for the Darkside for next year and am asking for your help and suggestions.

These are some things I have in mind ......

The PROJECT LINUS Challenge and Handover will be running again
The Sewing Place's theme this year is  ..... ANIMAL QUILTMaybe

After our super successful Mug Rat Swap, A SPRING EQUINOX MUG RAT SWAP. yes

I'm considering reviving the BLOCK OF THE MONTH as we have a new influx of P&Q'ers amongst us....
Making a series of tutorials for Twelve Traditional Blocks but using a modern colour palette to do this.

Would anyone be interested in that ?????  possibly

Another DARKSIDE BLOCK SWAP with the goal of making a small lap quilt.not confident enough

A SEWING ROOM ACCESSORIES Swap .... pin cushions, thread catchers, needle rolls ....
anything and everything for the sewing room. yes

A FABRIC POSTCARD SWAP ...

Another MYSTERY QUILTALONGATHON ...
this is a LARGE quilt (but it is beeeautiful) and would be a Six Part Tutorial. no

Aaaand now its over to YOU ....

I need your suggestions and ideas too and also an idea of how many of you would be interested in taking part ......

Hope I have answered these OK I have never tried to add to a quote.  My real problem is I am not a quilter just a dabbler in quilting but would like to do more.  I do need a purpose though
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:19:40 AM by Celia »

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 10:47:43 AM »
I've already said that I may not have facilities to do much sewing next year.
I did think though, when Jessie recently posted the pictures of her lovely scrap quilt, that a 'using scraps' challenge could be a useful one. 
Life's too short for ironing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 13:49:57 PM »
P&Q is something I have wanted to do for a long time; I have all the gear but no real idea : I have recently finished a cot quilt for my grandson, which I thought I could have done a lot better. I actually found it to be quite a lonely process - just working out what to put where and bringing it all together so I would most definitely be up forfollowing a Block of the month tutorial.  I think it would give me a better focus.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 14:42:32 PM »
Great Idea @Ploshkin  ... Scrap Stash Quilt Challenge ... could be a hanging, table runner, cot quilt or bigger!!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 14:44:45 PM by Iminei »

maliw

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 15:29:28 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions @Iminei, I will probably do the Linus quilt but everything else is more than likely a no-no as my "angels'' (see Lowena's thread "Where is everybody") will take priority
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 16:15:19 PM »
Great Idea @Ploshkin  ... Scrap Stash Quilt Challenge ... could be a hanging, table runner, cot quilt or bigger!!!!
Maybe the winner would be the person who could find the most different scraps!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.