The Sewing Place

Which Bright Spark ???

Iminei

Which Bright Spark ???
« on: November 05, 2019, 08:31:05 AM »
Decided to design a quilt from a cute lil charm pack which then had to be supplemented with some yardage and a ton of white and who then thought ...

"Oooh wouldn't it be nice to alternate the placement of the colour blocks and maybe add a lil negative space as well" ...

only to become embroiled in quilting maths (really not my strong point) and randomness which really, as you can see, can not be attained and then just decided to wing it ... and boy doesnt it look like its been winged (off a cliff over a long distance into the sea!) GAH!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Oh .... and its blooming big and going to be QAYG too! (or should that be TWO)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:36:25 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Which Bright Spark ???
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »
Looks good to me, and I love the colours.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:46:03 AM »
I wouldn't presume to comment on anything quilting related, but looking at your pictures, the little pictures at the bottom give a better perspective on the whole thing and it looks really good - certainly not to be sneezed at!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:47:32 AM »
Looks good to me too.  It's very difficult to get something to look truly random.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 13:00:45 PM »
Looks fine, why do you think it doesn't work?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:42:21 AM »
So.....what's your problem lady? Looks fine to me old chookie! :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

RJR_38

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 06:36:31 AM »
I think once joined down the middle with white sashing it will look great.how are you planning on quilting it? I find that the hardest decision to make! I still can’t decide what to do for a simple runner

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 08:31:44 AM »
Looks great to me. Lovely fresh colour and I love the occasional triangles  :D
I think we are always more critical of our own work :S

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 08:47:14 AM »
'Tis lovely Iminei!   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 08:54:02 AM »
Well Done RJR ... yes its going to be joined with a 1 1/2" (finished) white strip down the middle .. the strips then go out from centre 2", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/2" and then border!

Yesterday was a non sewing day but I did, manage to find just the right backing fabric ....
There is a really strange lil fabric, haberdashery, knick knack shop that has set itself up in a farm buildings complex near Wimborne and I often come across Fab fabrics there, such as those American Paintbox panels I found earlier this year .

This is a Hoffman fabric, I needed just over 4ms and there was just over 4ms on the bolt !!!! and I got it for £6 per metre    and its just perfect!

I thought about a crisp blue and white print, but the nature of batik doesnt make for a crisp white in the patterns but this Hoffman fabric has got just the right tone of greyish white, dont you think???

As for quilting ... I think simple is the way to go!

Its funny as I finished it ... reluctantly in the manner of just one more strip to go ... I was thinking of offering it up to one of you guys to finish as I really hated it ... But I dont think anyone has actually spotted why yet ...
so maybe its not as obvious as I thought ... apart from the non randomness of it of course.

Linky
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 14:49:20 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 09:36:31 AM »
I never buy proper fabric off the roll for backing quilts. I can't justify the expense. I buy cheap sheets or duvet covers.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 09:39:05 AM »
That backing fabric really is perfect.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 11:49:59 AM »
I never buy proper fabric off the roll for backing quilts. I can't justify the expense. I buy cheap sheets or duvet covers.

It is the cost of the fabrics for quilting that put me off.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 12:11:59 PM »
You dont need to buy an enormous stash @Celia  ..... you just need to know someone who is well beyond SABLE and happy to share.   :devil:

I started with fabric from my waistcoat days + some quilting fabric and a stash will grow very quickly.

Also think outside the box ... Stellarious, the massive star wall hanging is backed with Chenille from fabricland at minimal cost for such a large quilt and the weight of the chenile works well for a hanging.

Ive once used a sheet, a very nice one ... but the layerers didn't like it as it wouldnt stick well (I think it had dressing on) but it worked ok.

The Village was backed with a woven upholstery type fabric, again a hanging doesnt require a soft drapey backing.

Missie

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
But I dont think anyone has actually spotted why yet ...
so maybe its not as obvious as I thought .

Is it the three dark blue squares running in a diagonal line in the left panel?  If so, I had to go back and really look hard for it.

I love the quilt, and the backing fabric.  It looks so fresh.