The Sewing Place

Coat Interlining

Acorn

Coat Interlining
« on: November 05, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »
I have some nice, grey, woven fabric to make a winter coat (like wool, but no wool content, as I can't wear wool).  I also have a gorgeous two tone grey satin lining fabric to go with it.

I want to interline it, not so much to make it warmer (although a little warmer would be nice), but to make it more resistant to the wind.  I don't want to make it more bulky, so I think something like thinsulate would be a bad idea.

I wondered about bump - this doesn't look too bulky, and seems to have a reasonable drape, but it might be too warm.

Would brushed cotton be enough?  I'm not convinced it would make enough difference to the wind coming through tha fabric.

I already have the lovely lining, so I don't want to use a ready quilted or backed lining.

Any ideas or experience?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sonatine

Re: Coat Interlining
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 12:23:37 PM »
My coat was wool blend outer and satin lining so similar to yours. I used ordinary brushed cotton (brushed on both sides, very soft and almost felt-like but not very thick) as interlining and the resulting coat is very very warm and almost completely windproof. I would worry that bump would not only be too warm but also too bulky.

SkoutSews

Re: Coat Interlining
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »
I have to make curtains soon ( :angry: I hate making curtains) and was looking at curtain interlining. There are several grades and the lighter types might be suitable. They're not expensive either, the shop prices started at £4 per metre for 137 cm wide.