The Sewing Place

A couple of new to me magazines

UttaRetch

A couple of new to me magazines
« on: November 05, 2019, 14:05:27 PM »
I was in WH Smith's earlier today and spotted these:

Both of them have pull out pattern sheets.
What goes around comes around.

Nevis5

Re: A couple of new to me magazines
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 15:54:51 PM »
Gosh @UttaRetch  your WHS must be a good one!  Ours doesn't stock any decent sewing mags.  I've been reading good reviews of Fibre Mood online though; Carolyn of Handmade by Carolyn in Australia has made a lovely dress from the latest issue.  It looks quite interesting - did you buy either of them?

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 16:30:46 PM »
Interesting. Wonder if the central Manchester WHS stocks these! They are in English  :D.

I have been known to buy pattern mags in languages I don't understand. I can just about manage French and Spanish but Dutch was a bit of a challenge...  :S
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 16:39:15 PM »
@Nevis5: the Smith's in the Lewisham shopping centre is a big one and has been clinging on for years.  Only The Postoffice operation makes it viable.
@Tamnymore: both publications are foreign and these are the English language versions.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 19:36:19 PM »
As a coincidence I've just been reading today a link to Fibre Mood via a French Instagram poster. It does look interesting. Haven't been into Smiths for ages probably the Trafford Centre will be the best bet for me.
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 30 metres
So far: 6.5m metres

Missie

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »
A trendy bum bag?  Didn't think there was such a thing!

My local smiths has a good selection of crafty mags, but I don't recall seeing either of these.  will have to have another look.
A measly 2.5m of stash used so far!

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 15:40:18 PM »
It looks quite interesting - did you buy either of them?
I see I didn't answer your question.  No I didn't since I don't like the the multi-layer pattern format nor having to add seam allowance.  :angry:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 17:50:59 PM »
I 'happened' to be in WHSmiths today and succumbed to the  Fibre Mood.  I like the dress on the front and another one that I can see as a top, also a skirt.  Can't see what their sizing means.  I understand s to xxxl and 2 to 14 might be children's ages, unless it is some sort of european size range. What is 32 -58?  Can't be bust size in inches, can it?  Anyone know?  Looks as though I might have to register on their website for some of the information. Not overly impressed with the knitting, so I don't have to tackle the Dutch instructions, because the pattern for them seems to on the website too.
The difficulty range is from 'absolute beginners', through'just a bit more courage' to 'you can sew with your eyes closed'.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 19:58:34 PM »
I too loved the look of the dress on the cover.  The sizing sounds like European to me.  Take a look at Burda.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 21:06:07 PM »
Thank you @UttaRetch