The Sewing Place

Toe up sock pattern - recommendation please

Ploshkin

Toe up sock pattern - recommendation please
« on: November 01, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
I've knitted a few successful socks top down and have wanted to try toe up to see which method I prefer.  I abandoned the first attempt half way through the first sock as the pattern was a bit lacking in shaping.  I've just abandoned a second try 3/4 of the way through as it was coming out too big despite the pattern being for 8" foot circumference when my foot is closer to 9" and my swatch being the correct tension.
So, I'm looking for a tried and tested basic pattern in multiple sizes for a toe up sock with gusset and heel flap.  Any recommendations please?
Life's too short for ironing.

Bogwoppit

Re: Toe up sock pattern - recommendation please
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 18:18:13 PM »
I've made lots from Socks From the Toe Up by Wendy D Johnson.  There's a few different heel methods described and done as plain socks and them on to patterns.

she's also got some on her blog

This might be just what you need fingering weight toe up
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 18:22:38 PM by Bogwoppit »
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 18:24:00 PM »
Best tihng with toe up is trying it on as you go, much easier if you use magic loop rather than dpns!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 21:55:42 PM »
Thank you @Bogwoppit  I'll have another go (3rd time lucky I hope). 
Actually, I found it easier to get the foot length right with top down.  I tried on my toe up attempt - the pattern said to start the heel shaping at 2.5" less than the foot length but it came out half an inch too long.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 22:54:36 PM »
Are you on Ravelry?  Just look for a basic pattern (there are lots of freebies there) and see how they go.

As with cuff down there are lots of variations on the heels and toes, and so there should be, anything which can be done in one direction should be doable in the other direction.

My personal preference is for top down with a flap and gusset heel.  I can judge better when to start a toe than when to start a heel and generally my decreases (in the toe and gusset areas) are neater than increases.  Toe up is useful if the amount of yarn available is limited, just knit until it runs out.  That doesn't work if the toe is done last.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ashton-windows
explains and has links to instructions for various types of heels and toes working toe-up.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 07:19:32 AM »
The 2 I've already tried were sourced from Ravelry but I don't think I made a good choice.
I found it easier to understand what I was doing with the heel shaping with a top down pattern.  I'll have a 3rd attempt at a toe up design but I think I already know which I prefer (though I don't like grafting the toe closed.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
In that case make a star toe.  WHen it gets down to about 8 sts you just thread the yarn through all the stitches and fasten off very securely.  I learned the hard way that it's necessary to weave the end in right around the pulled up stitches a couple of times, but still easier than the grafting.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »
Just practice that grafting, I had a very similar problem, I was a machine knitter for years and no problem with grafting as we use waste yarn but I just couldn’t get my head around Kitchener stitch until recently, now I don’t know what the problem was.
Good luck in whatever you decide

Ann

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 11:42:59 AM »
I started out knitting socks toe up and quit as I had issues with the heel. I was trying to Cat Bordhi's tomato heel. I now knit from the top down and do a flap and gusset heel. When I go to do the Kitchener stitch, I find it on the website (Purl Soho has a good one) and talk my way through it. No issues with it at all and it doesn't take a lot of time.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »
I personally don't like the sweet tomato heel; too loose for my foot, flap and gusset fits much better.  But, as with all other areas of the body, we are all different shapes, so it is really a case of trying all options to see what you like best.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
I thought I was missing an easier way of knitting socks by not trying toe up.  Hearing other peoples' thoughts I think I will stick with what I know and what works for me.  I like the slipstich flap and gusset heel and the ones I have done fit well.   In the time it has taken me to try the toe up method I could have completed a pair of socks!  Thanks all for your views.

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 13:15:39 PM »
@Ploshkin As @Celia says, just practise Kitchener stitch, it makes such a smooth lovely finish. I tend to have to re-learn it every time I knit socks - and I used it for a pair of mittens too. After the first two stitches are done I distil it to a little mantra:
K front off
P front on
P back off
K back on

and as long as I have no interruptions it goes along beautifully!
If you want the whole thing pm or email me.

Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 18:08:28 PM »
@Ploshkin As @Celia says, just practise Kitchener stitch, it makes such a smooth lovely finish. I tend to have to re-learn it every time I knit socks - and I used it for a pair of mittens too. After the first two stitches are done I distil it to a little mantra:
K front off
P front on
P back off
K back on

and as long as I have no interruptions it goes along beautifully!
If you want the whole thing pm or email me.

@FloBear that is exactly what I do  and I agree about the interruptions

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 19:57:35 PM »
@Celia you are my sister from another mother  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 15:40:59 PM »
I've just started wearing my hand knitted socks again. I can honestly say I've forgotten which ones are toe up and which are top down.  They have the same heel and gusset and my grafting is invisible after plenty of wear and washing.  One thing I do know is that quality yarn makes a difference over time.