The Sewing Place

Cable Cardigan Finally Finished

Ploshkin

Cable Cardigan Finally Finished
« on: November 06, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
I started this well over a year ago.  Having omitted the side seams the body part was a mammoth knit that seemed to take forever and because of the offset cables at the back I had to follow the pattern for every row of the 24 row repeat (I can usually get a cable pattern after one repeat).  It then languished for many months and I had some idea in my head that I hadn't actually completed the front part and couldn't bring myself to try and work out where I had got to in the pattern.  However, I found that I had completed it and only had the sleeves to knit.
The yarn is Drops Nepal which is Aran weight 65% wool / 35% alpaca and is lovely and soft.  Drops yarn is very reasonably priced and I have used it a few times and been pleased with the result.  I liked this design because although I love knitting Aran I am not keen on the 'Aran' style (Edinburgh Woollen Mill).
Excuse the poor photos, light is very low.  I have cut off the stray yarn end that is showing on the back!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

Re: Cable Cardigan Finally Finished
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 11:42:57 AM »
Wow, that’s very impressive.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 11:50:31 AM »
@Ploshkin , that is a really beautiful cardigan.  Wish I could knit half as well.  Impressed that you were able to adjust the pattern for no seams - I really hate them too.

All those cables... mindboggling.  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 12:08:25 PM »
It looks amazing - love the side vents and all the fancy cable details. Full marks for persistence from she who hasn't knit a stich in 30 years (and has some still in a bag somewhere half-finished - one day...).

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
Looks brilliant @Ploshkin . Might have to nick that pattern off you sometime. I used Drops Nepal to knit my second version of your brownish cable cardi. It's quite heavy and is very cosy as a top layer on cold sunny days. 
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 14:27:50 PM »
Beautiful cardigan Plosh!  Good style and length.  As a mediocre knitter myself, I love to see knitting like yours.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 15:40:27 PM »
Lovely Cardiff @Ploshkin. When I see something that good, I wish I could knit.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 16:11:07 PM »
That's very impressive @Ploshkin .  It would take me MUCH longer than a year to make something that big, I don't have the staying ability.  Socks, hats and baby size items are as big as I can knit without getting totally bored.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 16:37:52 PM »
That's lovely - nice to see a stylish aran pattern that doesn't look as if you've just come off North Sea trawler. Another vote for Drops yarn. Nice quality and good prices.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 16:49:04 PM »
Very nice, and a lovely cable design. 

That reminds me, I have a hand knitted cardi languishing in the footstool, still needing it's ribbed shawl collar-cum-button band doing.  I decided I could do it on the chunky knitting machine really quickly, but I haven't got around to setting up the chunky machine.  Oh well, it's only been hanging around for about 4 years, one day, one day...

Starryfish

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 16:57:54 PM »
Lovely cardi! I am at the opposite end of difficulty today, knitting a pair of baby mittens at DD's urgent request. DGS has cold hands! Who'd have thought in November?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.