The Sewing Place

Stellar Log Cabin

Ploshkin

Stellar Log Cabin
« on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »
I finished piecing my log cabin quilt back in February.  I did post a picture on Reddit when it was our temporary home but thought I would put one on here.  I hadn't intended to lose momentum but had to clear my sewing room for my niece to stay over lambing so it got put in the cupboard but it's now out, basted and ready to quilt.

My original thoughts were for darker purples  with yellow stars but then I found the fabric (pictured below) and 'had' to have it for the stars so that changed all the rest apart from the dark one in the middle of the blocks. I can see how one acquires a stash as I now have quite a bit of purple fabric and some nice yellow too.

I'm going to keep the quilting lines simple (diagonals) and I've got a variegated purple thread.
I could be some time.
Life's too short for ironing.

Snowgoose

Re: Stellar Log Cabin
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
How very pretty  :). I love purple, variegated thread will look beautiful with your quilt.  One day, maybe I will try quilting, a cushion cover perhaps - something simple  8)

Lantana

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 22:45:58 PM »
Oh that's gorgeous Ploshkin! I love the colours. I hope you enjoy the quiting and wil increase your confidence!

Lanty  :vintage:

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:19:06 AM »
Gorgeous!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sakar

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
It's a fantastic idea to show your log cabin quilt here again  :)  It's a wonderful quilt with great colours. I really like the stars between the blocks!!

And Ploshkin? It's quite normal to have more fabric at home than you really need, that's a real quilter  :P There is a nice saying in German: "Possess is better than need!" and especially concerning patchwork and quilting, it's really true  :D

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 13:03:26 PM »
What fantastic work Ploshy, it looks lovely  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 13:10:46 PM »
That's lovely - the stars look great too!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 13:19:45 PM »
Beautiful Ploskin, love the colours!  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

supergran

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 20:40:13 PM »
It's beautiful Ploshkin and the stars give it a real lift.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
There is a nice saying in German: "Possess is better than need!" and especially concerning patchwork and quilting, it's really true 

Or to translate to English...

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush......

Or in Darksideish...

A yard in the stash is better than in T' Emporia

!!!! Free those FQs now !!!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sakar

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »

shadykittykat

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 06:58:54 AM »
I love it, gorgeous fabrics
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »
Yay!  At last it is finished!!
It's taken me ages to hand sew the back of the binding - tendonitis is playing up at the moment so I only managed a little bit every couple of days.
It's come out at 64" x 64".  I quilted it with parallel chevrons on each side.  For the first one on each side I ran the machine along the edge of an 18" ruler then for the rest I actually used (for the first time ever) that quilting guide thing that has been in the accessory box of every machine I have ever used.  There are inevitably some wobbles but I'm not letting them worry me. The variegated thread didn't add anything because there was so little variation in the shade but it was a nice colour.
I said previously that my backing fabric was a little scant.  When I trimmed up after quilting I took just 4 - 5 mm off two opposite sides.  I also realised as I was quilting that perhaps I was pushing my luck doing that narrow green border  - I used 1 1/2" strip for a finished 1" border.  Actually, I got away with it because the whole thing stayed very stable and square.
I had read a tip some time ago that I remembered for once (I think it was on the Moda website) and as far as possible I cut the strips for the logs down the length of the fabric.  The only ones I didn't were the dark outside ones as it wasn't economical to cut them that way.  There was virtually no distortion at all.   
It's been a long time getting there but I'm really pleased with how it has ended up - it's only my 3rd quilting thing and the biggest one I have done so far.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »
Plosh, that is beautiful!  Is it for yourself?  I love your colour choices - reminds me of bluebells!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

fajita

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 10:56:08 AM »
It looks lovely, you've done a great Job of it.