The Sewing Place

Do I need a walker foot for sewing with PUL?

pip

Do I need a walker foot for sewing with PUL?
« on: November 07, 2019, 13:10:25 PM »
I'm going to be attempting to make cloth diapers and covers for my granddaughter which involves using PUL fabric, and on the tutorial it said to use a walker foot. I have a Toyota EZ1 machine and it didn't come with one. I don't mind buying one, but I don't know if I need to get a 5mm one or a 7mm. On ebay there are both which say they fit Toyota (among others). There's not much on the internet about my model, even though I only bought it 7 years ago. I can ring Lincraft which sells the walker foot and see if they know what size my model takes. Anyway, failing that, can I sew the PUL ok without the walker foot? Thanks

Ploshkin

Re: Do I need a walker foot for sewing with PUL?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 13:12:34 PM »
What is PUL?
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 13:13:16 PM »
Never heard of PUL, what is it please?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 13:15:52 PM »

jintie

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 13:19:01 PM »
Most fabrics go through a machine without a walking foot. I just hold them firmly front and back, while letting the machine feed it.
Rottweiler with scissors

pip

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 13:38:23 PM »
That's good I can do without it if necessary then.
PUL is waterproof fabric used among other things for the cloth diapers for the outer layer for for a separate cover.
It's been quite a study looking into what kinds there are, what to make them of, where to get patterns, and watching the tutorials. It's a huge area. You can get lovely printed fabric. The diapers themselves are very expensive to buy. I think it costs about $1000 to set oneself up with them, but quite inexpensive to make them yourself and you can use stuff you have around the house.

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 15:24:10 PM »
That's good I can do without it if necessary then.
PUL is waterproof fabric used among other things for the cloth diapers for the outer layer for for a separate cover.
It's been quite a study looking into what kinds there are, what to make them of, where to get patterns, and watching the tutorials. It's a huge area. You can get lovely printed fabric. The diapers themselves are very expensive to buy. I think it costs about $1000 to set oneself up with them, but quite inexpensive to make them yourself and you can use stuff you have around the house.

I had to look up PUL too as I never heard of it. I have looked it up and am wondering if the PUL is safe for babies? Am sure you can google it in Australia too? As I said I know nothing about the fabric apart from it being laminated etc.

This link may give you some more information?
https://www.debralynndadd.com/q-a/pul-on-organic-cloth-diaper/

https://www.debralynndadd.com/q-a/information-on-pul-fabric/

lizzy

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 15:36:59 PM »
I've sewn PUL on my Janome using a walking foot which I always use for tricky fabrics. I think this can vary with different machines though, as I recently repaired a stretch jersey top with the standard foot on my old(er) Singer whet I know that my Janome wouldn't have coped well. I have a WFfor each machine and wouldn't be without.

I'd have thought you'd struggle with PUL without a WF but you never know. Try it and see.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 16:03:44 PM »
DD used this system and although she paid a shed load for the stuff she sold it on afterwards for a fair amount.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

pip

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 02:38:42 AM »
I had to look up PUL too as I never heard of it. I have looked it up and am wondering if the PUL is safe for babies? Am sure you can google it in Australia too? As I said I know nothing about the fabric apart from it being laminated etc.

This link may give you some more information?
https://www.debralynndadd.com/q-a/pul-on-organic-cloth-diaper/

https://www.debralynndadd.com/q-a/information-on-pul-fabric/

Ohmygoodness that is very sobering. I was thinking whatever is in disposable nappies would be worse than PUL. You have to have something to make them waterproof. In the old days we used to use plastic pants. I did try other things back then like flannel pilchers but no use. I'll have to look into this more. Thanks for the links, they are excellent.

lizzy