The Sewing Place

Self-threading needles - disappointed

sewingj

Self-threading needles - disappointed
« on: October 27, 2019, 14:12:31 PM »
https://www.clover-mfg.com/product/6/253

I treated myself to these hoping they would make life easier  but my first attempt to use them has been disappointing as after only a small amount of sewing the thread was being shredded and then broke - this was with Gutermann sew-all.
They seem to get favourable reviews on Amazon - perhaps I`ve got a dud bunch.  I think I`ll stick to an old fashioned needle threader (bent loop of wire)

Kenora

Re: Self-threading needles - disappointed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 14:17:09 PM »
@sewingj - I use them all the time - and love them - BUT ..... I only use them for burying the threads on the back of my quilts. So I'm utilising the self-threading part but not actually making stitches with them, just pushing the loose threads into the back of the work. I must admit, I wouldn't be without them but I've never thought to use them for "normal" hand sewing. ><

Can't beat the old wire loop method. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 14:35:31 PM »
I can't understand the old wire method, never worked for me. I use the self threading needles with cotton thread and they are great
Triumph of hope over experience :D

twopence

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 16:50:06 PM »
@sewingj like @Kenora I use these all the time to bury threads on quilts and was quite pleased to see this method used and recommended by Jo Colwill at the workshop I did with her.  I have also used them for small amounts of sewing.  I find the best way to thread them is to hold the thread taught over the top and pull sharply down into the eye.

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 16:55:44 PM »
Was finishing off the hems on my trousers this afternoon so I thought I'd use a self-threading needle. The thread didn't break, nor did it shred, but it did keep unthreading from the needle as I sewed. :S Seems we all have slightly different experiences with these needles  >:)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 18:21:49 PM »
I reviewed these on Amazon @sewingj  :). Like you I tried them for normal sewing but found them a disaster, gave up @nd stuck them in the back of a drawer. Couple of years later I read about using them to bury threads and now I love them - not just for quilting either. Garments and bags often need threads buried too.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
Ok - you`ve now all got me googling "burying threads with self-threading needles" and I can see that they would be very useful for that!

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 14:00:39 PM »
I've never bought any but I don't understand the principal of being able to thread a needle by flipping the thread through a gap in the eye and then expect to be able to sew with it without the thred popping out again.  :S
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Flobear

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 16:34:31 PM »
Ok - you`ve now all got me googling "burying threads with self-threading needles" and I can see that they would be very useful for that!

Agree it would make the burying job easier and quicker. I remember Mum buying some of these needles many many moons ago and we used them for the novelty of the thing but soon went back to ordinary needles for hand-sewing.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!