The Sewing Place

Good zip sellers?

Vezelay

Good zip sellers?
« on: November 07, 2019, 19:05:26 PM »
I'm looking for a 63cm/25" open ended nylon medium wt (non-chunky) zip; also two 25cm/10" invisible zips - all navy - and I'm struggling.

At the moment the only and cheapest suppliers I can find are Amazon (SleepingOwl) for the invisibles and Ebay (JanetLouise Bespoke) for the open ended zip which at 64 cm might need shortening :(.

The problem is finding those lengths - it's this jacket for DH in french terry and has to be his specified length.

I've hit a wall with my usual suppliers Minerva, Jaycotts, Sew Essential, Plush Addict. If I could find one supplier that actually had all 3 I could save a few quid. All 3 jersey  come to £19, most of which is postage to Ireland. And for a few quid more I could buy the blessed jacket off the peg. Yes I know that's not the point  :)

Any ideas?

Deafoldbat

Re: Good zip sellers?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 19:27:02 PM »
Try here. Big range and fairly quick delivery.

https://www.zipsonline.co.uk/

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 19:39:38 PM »
Thanks @Deafoldbat. So I had a look and unfortunately their sizes don't match mine.

I might have to shorten the o/e zip I know so a 66cm /26" is an option but their nearest invisibles are 9".

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 20:17:18 PM »
Jaycotts have 26” open ended zips and 12” invisible zips. Shortening an invisible zip is often an easy option given the nature of the way they are sewn in.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 21:12:17 PM »
Ah, I didn't realise that @StitchinTime - invisible zips being one of many gaps in my sewing knowledge. Easy option sounds good. Unfortunately Jaycotts are sold out of navy 26" o/e but I'll drop them a line to ask if they're back in soon. Thanks.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 07:35:22 AM »
Could you finagle a 24" to finish at the stitch line of the hem? I know nothing of these things but I too am looking for a 25" zip for a fleece for him indoors and I have ,so far, found more hens' teeth!  -<
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 15:27:13 PM »
@wrenkins yesterday I found a 64cm (25.2") zip on Ebay here and bought it for £4.50 inc p&p after the seller kindly dropped the postage from £10.50! at my request. I just hope it really is that length as I'd rather not have to mess about with pliers and making the jacket a couple of mm longer surely won't be noticed :).

If it's navy you're looking for this might do you.

One down...

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 17:32:56 PM »
I know it's a bit late because you have bought them now but I buy all mine zips from the Zipper Station, here are the invisible zips and here are the open ended.
And if you struggle to get the right colour invisible zip you can try a different shade, after all it is only the pull that is visible. I have been known to use a neutral shade and use nail varnish in the right colour on the pull.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 21:52:53 PM »
Had a look @sewmuchmore and I see they want £12 postage to Ireland for a zip, but thanks for the suggestion anyway. We get this all the time here. The suppliers I named in my original post are the most reasonable. I'll probably go with Jaycotts or Minerva for the invisibles as they have a McCalls pattern on sale that I want.

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 22:12:01 PM »
Try here. Big range and fairly quick delivery.

https://www.zipsonline.co.uk/

And I see these have reasonable postage too. You really can never guess. All useful.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
I've always gone for Jaycotts first followed by Ebay. However recently I was stuck over a particular colour I wanted, Geranium Coral in a open ended zip.  I think I went all round the houses looking for that and eventually finished on Ebay but it could only be shipped from the US.  For preference I like YKK, might be more money but  I would hate to replace a dodgy zip that didn't last.

In my search I got two alternatives,one a lovely two tone, which I would like to use ASAP.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vezelay

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 15:40:44 PM »
My zips all arrived in today's post and they're perfect! The long one from Ebay is actually 63cm (not 64 as stated) so exactly the length I wanted  :). The others came from Jaycotts with a cardi pattern - M6996 as recently seen on @Fabric Lover - to justify the postage >:)

Clareew

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 16:20:04 PM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 16:21:50 PM by Clareew »