The Sewing Place

Vogue 1312 for a Beginner?

DementedFairy

Re: Vogue 1312 for a Beginner?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »
I just add patch pockets, inseam wouldn't work with this because of the unusual skirt construction.

There is a LOT of fabric.  My added elastic waistband helps to keep some of that weight from pulling down on the bust, I can see it absolutely flattening you if made in all woven, or with anything very heavy.  My white and green one is a fairly weighty cotton damask for the skirt, and it weighs a ton.  Without the stretch top and elastic waist, I would fall over it every few minutes!

When you're a beginner, best to stick to the rules suggested for fabric choices, with experience, you'll know the effect of breaking away, and how to deal with the consequences.

Usually, very full skirts are supported by a fitted waist.  Not here though, it drops straight down from the bust.  I seriously recommend using the stretch bodice option for a better finish.
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
When you're a beginner, best to stick to the rules suggested for fabric choices, with experience, you'll know the effect of breaking away, and how to deal with the consequences.

Sound advice for a beginner, indeed.  However, I have long admired this dress and would be looking for a light to mid-weight woven.  I saw the most delightful linen mix in Woolcrest Textiles and nearly bought it just because.

Tamnymore

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 13:59:29 PM »
Actually DF I don 't agree about the pockets. I always put in seam pockets in this dress and they work really well for me so both kinds of pockets will be fine.

So what do you say, shall we have a pockets duel?  Seam rippers at dawn in the Rag Market!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 14:53:42 PM »
Fairy nuff- i would have thought that the seams fall at odd angles, but whatever works, works!

Patch pockets are still easier though!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 15:32:52 PM »
My patch pockets never look very neat. At least the inseam pockets are hidden (mostly). I put inseam pockets into that other Mizono dress and that works too. I even put inseam pockets into hats (ok I made that one up.  :devil:)

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 17:35:35 PM »
A good trick for patch pockets [as a not very neat sewer in general] is to line them.  You can then bag them out, and attach with no fuss whatsoever about all the seam allowances.  Works for me!
C'est moi!

talamasca

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 18:14:40 PM »
Think I'll make 2.......I've got a decent amount of spare cotton fabric left over from making a skirt....think I'll use that along with a double knit/jersey for the top section of option B....does the fabric allowance include for the sleeves too as the sketch shows the sleeves in same colour (white) as skirt section?

DementedFairy

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 18:20:47 PM »
Hard to say as I used knits from stash.  Easy enough to check with the pattern pieces though
C'est moi!

talamasca

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 18:26:57 PM »
Ok...thanks...I'm waiting for the pattern to arrive. Hope it's before the weekend as looking forward to having a go!

DementedFairy

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 18:30:00 PM »
I'll dig mine out and take  a look if you like
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 18:30:49 PM »
You should be able to see fabric amounts required on either the Vogue patterns or sewdirect websites

DementedFairy

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 18:32:47 PM »
You should be able to see fabric amounts required on either the Vogue patterns or sewdirect websites
Yep but for some reason the pattern only quotes for bodice in knit, not sleeves
C'est moi!

talamasca

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »
Thanks DF, but it's OK.  After measuring, I don't have enough leftover fabric to make another one so I'll stick with original plan of making all in one fabric without sleeves and when the pattern arrives I can take a look at it and measure out how much needed for the sleeves in contrasting material for the next one I make :D

Snowgoose

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »
This blogger https://corecouture.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/ones-better-ones-worse/ cut off the bodice and turned the bottom into a skirt!  I think it makes a gorgeous skirt - I love the drama of it  :) I do have some lovely curtain fabric somewhere... :D goes away to rummage around...

talamasca

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 11:19:45 AM »
Yes, I'm thinking of trying just a skirt at some point too.

So the pattern has arrived and it does state that the sleeves are made in same fabric as skirt, with only the bodice in diff fabric....don't think I've seen any with sleeves made like that though.

Being the first time using a pattern I'm reading thoroughly and so far so good, except for understanding cutting out double thickness without a fold, but I'll probably get it when I start.....I'm not very good with written instructions...I need visuals! LOL

ETA: Ooo interesting....whenever I've been told the seam allowance that's where I stitch to (when I'm quilting), but on this pattern the allowance is 5/8" and you sew 1/4".....couldn't quite understand why until a bit of googling revealed it's for adjustments.....it's a lot isn't it!!??
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:34:41 AM by talamasca »