The Sewing Place

Wonky quilt or optical illusion

Sheilago

Wonky quilt or optical illusion
« on: August 14, 2019, 17:17:09 PM »
Here is my latest baby quilt, which is not my finest creation! I was inspired by ‘Tidbits on Tuesday’ in My Quilting Life , but as I was trying to use up scraps , I think I don’t have enough contrast.
However, my problem is that even though I’ve squared it up , it still looks wonky to me. On the inspiration quilt the pinwheels formed lovely squares, but to me it looks like my pinwheel squares are heading towards the right. Maybe it’s just an illusion- hopefully putting a border on, then sandwiching it and quilting will help. -<

Kad

Re: Wonky quilt or optical illusion
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 17:41:12 PM »
Doesn't look wonky to me, and I'm the person who told the chap replacing our fencing that one of the posts at the end of the garden wasn't vertical. It wasn't, it was less than 1/4" out of true, but he straightened it up as he wanted payment at the end of the day  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 18:29:37 PM »
Looks fine to me....I love all the different colours and patterns with the white.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 20:13:27 PM »
Doesn't look wonky to me either - it's beautiful, and I love that you've put the sashing on the diagonal around the pinwheels. I think we're all more critical of our own work than we are of other people's. The recipient of the quilt will be delighted with it. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 21:49:30 PM »
my problem is that even though I’ve squared it up , it still looks wonky to me. On the inspiration quilt the pinwheels formed lovely squares, but to me it looks like my pinwheel squares are heading towards the right.

I doesn't look at all wonky to me and the pinwheel blocks look square. 

Did the inspiration quilt have coloured sashing?  It may jave been just a greater contrast that made them look squarer.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 05:22:46 AM »
You make beautiful quilts @Sheilago  .... just witness one of your latest ones ...

I think the pinwheels look a bit lost amongst the patterned squares and cornerstones; if they had been solid, stronger colours I think they would stand out a bit more ... but that's not a criticism in any way ... just an opinion, honest!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 22:05:56 PM »
Yes @Iminei, I agree. I was just being a bit too keen to use some of my bulging scrap box. I’m hoping that if I do simple straight line quilting I might be able to give it more definition. It’s for a friend’s grandchild, but there’s still time to make another and see which I prefer.

@BrendaP  , I  was trying to copy the quilt which is the second attachment above. It had exactly the same sashing, but bolder colours as you suggest.

I’m glad none of you see it as wonky. I wonder if it is my eyes  :S or because I’ve done my pinwheels in the opposite direction to the inspiration....or maybe if I took the photo in the same way from the corner angle , it would look better. I do think perhaps the diagonal sashing is pulling it slightly off square , but hopefully the wadding and quilting will help.

Kitten

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 18:19:59 PM »
Another who doesn't think it's wonky, just lovely.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 07:57:12 AM »
I’m hoping that if I do simple straight line quilting I might be able to give it more definition. It’s for a friend’s grandchild, but there’s still time to make another and see which I prefer.

@Sheilago  ... Stop stressing just quilt it simply and leave it at that.

You see imperfections; that could have been this and why didnt I do that???

They will see an unexpected, unique and beautiful gift that will become a family heirloom !!!

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
 :D You’re right @Iminei . When I’m giving something to someone else I’m much more critical. I did, sort of, decide that I’d get it finished and hope it looks better then , as most quilts do.

However ,while waiting for the backing to arrive,I did start another very simple one!   -<. Having a spare one in waiting never does any harm!

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 08:47:14 AM »
You naughty, naughty Girl, Sheilago ... says Iminei, (quickly hiding the charm pack, 1/2 metre cuts and bolt of white that shes perusing as a new quilt!:devil:

Lisalou1965

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 18:11:31 PM »
I cannot for the life of me see anything "wonky" about it - I love it, and I am sure the recipient will too. Now I cant wait to see when it is all quilted !
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 23:46:14 PM »
Here is the finished wonky quilt for @Lisalou and others  :D It is backed with lemon dimple cuddle fleece and has straight line quilting. It’s ages since I did straight quilting, but I just thought it suited this quilt somehow. Trying to impose some order on it, I suppose! :P

Lisalou1965

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 15:18:18 PM »
@Sheilago, I had missed this! I think it is really cute. Not wonky at all.  :loveit:
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time